1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone heard of this "logic" lesson?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mike372, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mike372

mike372 New commenter

This is probably a bit of a long shot but there's no harm in trying...

I shadowed a maths teacher last year and in one of her year 9 lessons she split the class up and gave each group an envelope containing 20+ little sheets of paper, each containing a fact on it. The object of the lesson was for each group to work out how long it takes some people/creatures to build a certain structure by linking together all of the facts. All of the names of the creatures, measurements, structures, days of the weeks etc. had unusual alien type names like "Zog" and "Quog".
    The class loved the lesson and it was really nice to see a usually disruptive class work so well for 40 minutes. Has anyone heard of this idea / know where I can find the lesson? The main reason I'm asking here is I seem to remember her saying that she got the lesson from tes...

2. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

There are 2 very similar versions, but here is one of them, from Nrich

http://nrich.maths.org/5992
    Bric

the other was on MathsGuru, but that seems to be down at the moment

3. mike372

mike372 New commenter

That's the lesson I remember. Thank you so much!

Mike.

4. DM

DM New commenter

Can I give you the secret TSR handshake notty?

5. I've got a new class on timetable, a quite high Year 9 set, which I will be having once a fortnight and I've agreed with the lead teacher that I was just going to do various standalone, investigation-type lessons with ... so I think I'll be opening with this one tomorrow.
    I was thinking of doing the "Fashion Mystery" which you can find on the resources here which is quite nice as well.
    So thanks! [​IMG]

6. I've used Zin Obelisk before, but what is fashion mystery? I did a search under resources but didn't see any maths resources there?

7. September

September New commenter

I always have the best intentions of using the Nrich resources in my department but the SOW and assessments get in the way. I am going to make a greater effort to try these out.

8. Don't do it, notnek, it's a trap!

9. If you like problems like Zin Obelisk you may be interested to know that we are soon going to be publishing a similar card-sorting, making sense of information problem on proportional reasoning. It'll be part of our maths and sport resources so will appear on the Maths and Sport website as soon as it's published, and it will be featured on NRICH in June.
    If people are interested, I can try to remember to post here once it goes live (probably some time next month), and if there's demand for this type of problem we will write a few more!

10. Here you go!!
    The Zin Obelisk (although I changed it to Zin Monument, as I thought that an Obelisk tapers off to a point!?) went really well - thanks!

11. Thanks!
    (Good point re the obelisk. I feel ashamed. Normally I am a bit of a shapes gestapo but this one passed me by, I didn't even research it to check if it could be the correct term for a cuboid.)

12. Am I the only maths teacher alive who doesn't like the Zin task?

13. Well I only used it the once. I like the way you have to sift out the cards that don't help. I think I dislike the ones that ask other questions, though, because I don't think there is enough information to answer those, so why ask them? You almost need to give the instruction "Focus on finding out what day the obelisk is completed, ignore the other questions" because they are just a pointless distraction! In which case, why have those cards in the set?
    Going to work through the fashion one this weekend and try it out on my Y9 if I like it.