1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone heard of Janet Moyles and the spiral curriculum?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by oscars mum, Oct 22, 2008.

1. I came across Janet Moyles theory of the spiral curriculum whilst teaching on an adult childcare course and it makes so much sense of the adult led/child initiated philosophy which is current in early years. I wondered if it was common knowledge as I have only come across it recently. If someone explains to me how to 'download' onto here I could leave some information for those who are interested.

2. I came across Janet Moyles theory of the spiral curriculum whilst teaching on an adult childcare course and it makes so much sense of the adult led/child initiated philosophy which is current in early years. I wondered if it was common knowledge as I have only come across it recently. If someone explains to me how to 'download' onto here I could leave some information for those who are interested.

3. Hi,

the 'play spiral' is described in Janet Moyles first book on play - 'Just playing?'. I agree - I think its an excellent way to describe the current adult and child initiated balance. I have just today been talking to the reception teacher about this - how in adult led activities we provide the skills to enhance and extend children's play.

4. I think this philosophy puts you back in charge of child initiated learning as you are setting up activities with a clear learning outcome in mind, then allowing free play with those activities before carrying out adult led sessions to introduce the vocabulary and key skills. The children are then free to continue to use the same activities but with enhanced skills or concepts.

It might make more sense with an example. If your focus is on ordering by size and size vocabulary so you may set up the role play area as the three bears cottage. The children play freely in here for a few sessions. You then lead the play and ask the children to sort the objects by size and use the vocabulary big, bigger, smaller etc. The children are then free to continue to play in the area however they wish but with the opportunity to cotinue to sort and use the appropriate vocabulary. At this point you may wish to make some observations. The whole thing fits together so neatly!