1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone heard of Acruing your holidays on the end of maternity leave?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Nat113, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has heard about acruing your holidays on the end of your maternity leave? Im thinking of having a year off school for maternity leave, but can only do that if I can put the holidays that I have in my maternity leave onto the end of the 9 months that we get payed for!
    Has anyone heard of this or done this?
    Please help as im going to see the Burser next week sort everything out!!!
    Thanks Nat [​IMG]

2. There are new EU rules that some Scottish Authorities have come into line with including my own. This means I have a year off I accrue 65 days hols that I can take at the end or get paid
    for. I have also accrued 19 days between 1.9.10 and 4.3.11 when I go off which I will get paid for in my last salary. They are already trying to reduce the entitlement to 40 days though!!

3. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

I always fancied phoning my local authority to ask about this, especially as baby friends I made also worked for the same authority and they could use accrued holiday to extend their mat leave. I never did ring as I thought I'd be laughed off the line...

4. It was detaile din my mat pack? You have nothing to lose, why not try? x

5. Thanks for yor message! What do you mean by Mat Pack? Maternity Pack? When did you get that? Ive only had a Bounty pack so far! x

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I've heard of this happening in Scotland, but not in England. Well, not for teachers anyway. I had 9 months off last time and didn't accrue any holiday.

7. By mat pack I meant maternity pack. I got it from the Local Authority just after I handed in my Mat b1 form at 25 weeks. It detailed all my rights, dates etc based on the leaving dates I gave them and accrued holiday from Sep1st 2010 to March 4th 2011 wich was 38 days. We will only have had 19 so I get 19 days paid in my final salarly. It then said I would accrue at the same rate over the course of mat leave and they would calculate that for me when I gave them my return date. Our councils don't like it and are trying to reduce it to 40 days but its still better than nothing. I plan to tack it on to my mat leave so that for the last few months I am fully paid again.
    Chica last time I could only accrue a max of 10 days so it is a big and very welcome change!
    JHx

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Is there time for me to relocate to Scotland???