1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone had to make a reasonable adjustment like this before?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Amytotheresuce, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Amytotheresuce

Amytotheresuce New commenter

One boy in my class is allowed squash in his bottle instead of water because of his autism. Everyone else has to have water.
    How does having autism mean that someone needs squash and not water?

Sally006 and Bungie like this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Is the water nonsense still on the go?

Jolly_Roger15, nomad, Jamvic and 4 others like this.
  3. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Who knows? who cares?

Nanny Ogg and Jamvic like this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Rigid food / drink preferences are quite common I believe

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you're a teacher (as your profile claims) you should already understand the importance of routine and predictability for some children with ASD. Your starting a thread about it on an education forum says far more about you than it does about the child or school policy.

In my humble opinion etc.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You're

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Did you not receive information from the SENDCo on what (utterly minor) adjustments would be required?

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Wrong - "your" is the correct spelling in this sentence.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Exactly.

10. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

"Your" is correct. The gerund "starting" is used as a noun here, so the possessive adjective "your" is correct.

11. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

A lot of autistic folk have senses that are more or less sensitive than neurotypical peers. This could be an insensitivity to pain, an ability to hear electricity or, as in this case, a very limited tolerance for different tastes.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Are you insane? Clearly it was meant to be "yore".
    As in "Yore, in days of, we didn't have any of this fancy autism. Or squash."

13. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I expect we’ve all had to make adjustments like this. I once taught a girl who was allowed to be late, as it sometimes took an hour to find a pair of knickers she felt comfortable in that day.

Having said that, I’ve also occasionally taught children with no diagnosis of anything other than ‘mummy thinks I must be special’. They’re a pain in the bum.

14. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Some children with autism can have the most peculiar food preferences, so better for the child to have access to squash than not to drink at all during the day.

Having said that, I do feel that the unintended message given to the other children is that they are not special enough to have the nice things. Kids don’t always see the reasoning behind such decisions, they just see something they perceive as unfair.

15. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

"I once taught a girl who was allowed to be late, as it sometimes took an hour to find a pair of knickers she felt comfortable in that day." I'm sure her boss will be most sympathetic when she goes to work...

16. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

She was seven, so I don’t think she needs to worry about that just yet.

17. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

18. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Sensory processing difficulties are often present alongside autism

https://autismawarenesscentre.com/does-my-child-have-sensory-processing-disorder/

I remember one student at the FE college I worked at being extremely anxious about starting the course because he might have to wear a polo shirt with a logo which the students on the course were asked to wear - we didn’t ask him to wear one as it was clearly causing him a massive amount of anxiety - the anxiety was connected to being hypersensitive to certain fabrics

19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Eats, shoots, and leaves!

jellycowfish, nomad and agathamorse like this.
  20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Silent screaming!
    No, no, no.

Either:

"Your starting a thread about it on an education forum says far more about you than it does about the child or school policy" (AKA the fact that you are starting a thread.... says far more about you...)

OR

"You're starting a thread about it on an education forum that says far more about you than it does about the child or school policy." (AKA the thread that you are starting.... says far more about you....)