1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone got any advice about ill health retirement?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chuk, Mar 3, 2012.

1. chuk

chuk New commenter

I'm seriously thinking of applying for this, having recently had a failed return to work, after a long absence from work. Since 2006, I have had 34 weeks off,(off and on) for work related stress.
    Has anyone out there got any first hand experience, or knows of anyone who successfully applied and got it.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

If you still have a pulse you will not be able to retire early for reasons of ill health. Sorry.

3. chuk

chuk New commenter

They might not be able to detect one soon! I realise it may be extremely difficult to apply for, but really feel at the moment that I'm left with no alternative.
    My record is as follows:
    2006- 2 weeks off for stress, anxiety and depression
    2007- 5 weeks off for same reasons
    2009- 5 weeks off sor same reasons
    2010- 9 weeks off for same reasons (OH involved)
    2011- 13 weeks off for same reasons (OH involved)
    2012- unsuccessful phased return to work. 1 week so far.(OH involved)
    My health record between September 1999 and Oct 2006 was 100%
    Prior to joining the teaching profession, I had worked mainly in industry between 1979 and 1995.
    I also served in the armed forces and ran by own business in the 1980s. My health record during this decade was near enough 100%

4. Hi, I got ill health retirement 3 years ago I took advice from the NUT and successfully retired on the top level of pension. I was a teacher on Soulbury. I was not in a teacher pension scheme but the rules appear to be either the same or very similar. I had been told by our employee healthcare team that I would not get any pension at all even though I was unable to work due to the after effects of a serous heart attack. My GP had written to say I was unfit for work and likely to remain so but E.H said this was 'just an opinion'. My consultant agreed that I was unfit to work and wrote a long letter to E.H. with the following paragraph which was suggested by NUT. "Taking all these factors into account I would conclude that it is more likely than not that ****** will remain permanently unfit to teach in any capacity whether full time or part time and at any other establishment until the reitrement age of 65" Apparently its the wording that makes the difference. I went overnight from thinking I would have to sell my house to being able to relax and rest and recuperate as best I could. I really hope this helps, the bottom line seems to be having a consultant who is willing to word a letter specifically tailored to your needs.