1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone got a membership with IRS reviews?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Henna647398393, May 28, 2019.

1. Henna647398393

Henna647398393 New commenter

I'm looking to accept a job offer tomorrow for a school in Kuwait as I will have passed the deadline for letting then know. I have just heard about IRS school reciew and wanted to know if anyone has a membership to view the reviews.

I would be highly grateful if anyone could message me on my inbox and see the review for the school before I take the big step in a few hours.

Much appreciated.

2. towncryer

towncryer Established commenter

Why not just join yourself? It's only 25 dollars.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I have one. But as above, why not join? It's an invaluable service and deserves support.

4. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

I assume Henna is still in the UK. It's the end of the month. When I was in the UK, I definitely didn't have 25 Dollars spare for non-essentials (oh those times of being broke, I never want to go back to them again...).

Henna, I sent you a conversation. Happy to help.

Henna647398393 and dumbbells66 like this.
  5. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

ISR - rather than the Internal Revenue Service?

spanboy likes this.
  6. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

rideemcowboy likes this.
  7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I would suggest that the best thing to do, if you want to be able to read the ISR reviews, is to join the ISR, Henna647398393. If you want to read the reviews, even just one of them, then you should pay the ISR subscription. I understand that this is not a lot of money. Perhaps I am rather stuffy and old-fashioned, but I was always under the impression that trying to get something without paying for it is dishonest. Some silly old fuddy-duddies might even say that it is "stealing".

Redparrotfish, JL48, spanboy and 2 others like this.
  8. markedout

markedout New commenter

There are also reviews on International Schools Community.

Henna647398393 likes this.
  9. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

It is well worth joining ISR. Often better than most reality TV programs.

10. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

One of the great things about ISR is that you can read the reviews and think "There but for the grace of God...."

agbak and Mermaid7 like this.
  11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Its a great pleasure to see a new review of the school you are currently employed at pop up on the latest reviews section.

Then you can sit back and enjoy the entertainment that follows.

All members of SMT out of their office's at the same time mingling with the staff attempting to be friendly and caring. SMT in the staffroom asking subtle questions to staff about been happy and contented in their work.

Then the next stage when you are dragged into an office and given the Third Degree with threats of instant dismissal if you are suspected of been the author.

agbak likes this.
  12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Feb 31, that's why you need to make sure you praise SMT at all times with your fingers firmly crossed behind your back.

towncryer likes this.
  13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Sometimes its a bit difficult to praise members of SMT. At a school I was at the principal went absent for nearly 2 weeks and no one noticed they were missing!

towncryer likes this.
  14. SineField

SineField New commenter

Sounds harsh and this is a general critique..... but anyone that isn't willing to drop £20 on an ISR membership before accepting an offer from abroad deserves little sympathy IMO.

Its not perfect by any stretch but ISR is up there with your passport in terms of importance IMO when looking at 'the circuit'!

towncryer likes this.
  15. Henna647398393

Henna647398393 New commenter

I woud've not expected this but oh well. I am an NQT, and have not had a full time position. At the moment I am on supply and surviving of the bare minimum when I am working 2 or 3 days a week. I am also in debt due to not having found a position. However, this post was not due to laziness or not putting my hands in my pocket, it was due to actually me not having £30 in my account for it. Hence, why I asked. I have no idea about the ISR or how a membership with then works but was kindly recommended by someone to look at a review for the school but I didn't hear back from them.

16. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Honestly, if its a school thats willing to employ an NQT with very little experience and they are still recruiting at this time of year, you probably dont want to read the ISR review. If you are desperate for a job then go for it. But go into it with eyes wide open that its almost definitely NOT a quality school. Do your time, 2 years is a very short period of time. Then get out and get a better job in a better school.

towncryer and Henna647398393 like this.
  17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The ISR reviews really are a mixed bag. Some of them have passed their "sell by date" a long time ago. Then there the golden and glowing reviews that were obviously written by the school's owners or maybe a member of the SLT. Some of them are so dazzling as to be ludicrous.

Then there are the reviews that are real "poison pen" jobs, nasty outpourings of bile and bitterness.

Yes, there are a few reviews that try to be balanced and give you both the positive and negative aspects of working at this or that school. I hope that the reviews I wrote fall into this category.

18. SineField

SineField New commenter

Agreed

Using ISR is somewhat of an acquired skill..... reading between the lines.

The posts written by SLT are always good for a chuckle though..... so obviously out of place.

Even great schools have issues and these can simply be down to the country they are based in.

towncryer likes this.
  19. Caity52

Caity52 New commenter

What does it mean if your school doesn't appear on three at all?

20. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

If it's new, it is unlikely going to have reviews.

If it's established it is more likely a very good school. People tend to be quick to post negative reviews rather than positive ones. So, when a school isn't there I think it's just a fairly good school and nobody had any complaints. Well, that's how I see it, but I can be wrong.