1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever heard of KAGAN theory?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lauralu18, Feb 25, 2008.

1. HI all, does anyone know what the kagan theory is? Just wondering if anyone uses this to run their year 1 classrooms?

2. HI all, does anyone know what the kagan theory is? Just wondering if anyone uses this to run their year 1 classrooms?

3. Hi lauralu18, yes I have successfully taught EYFS and other KS1 classes with Kagan Structures for many years. If you would like to know of schools in the Uk that have Kgan embedded into their practice let me know and I will point you in the right direction. There are some good resources to be found here: www.T2TUK.co.uk and www.Kagan-Uk.co.uk
    Gavin

4. I've been on those websites and all I can see is how to pay them for help. Can anyone explain in a nutshell what Kagan Theory is? (yes I've googled and I'm none the wiser!)

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Dr. Spencer Kagan believes that it is not what you have to teach, but how you teach it. He calls this Kagan Structures. The Kagan Structures align instruction with how the brain best learns, implementing both cooperative learning and multiple intelligences philosophies and methods.
    Cooperative learning is a type of structured peer interaction emphasising positive human relationships, collaboration between peers, active learning, academic achievement, equal participation, and equal status of pupils in the classroom. It can be used to teach any subject matter, whether that be MFL, maths, PSHE, etc.
    Try reading this: http://help4teachers.com/PatPaper.htm
    Personally, I think it is a load of rubbish...........

6. Thanks Nomad. Is that whole page just educational bobbins?

7. I use Kagan structures in my classroom, and find they work pretty well. I don't much go in for all the gubbins behind why it works - the systems themselves seem pretty much common sense to me.
    Basic principle is that you arrange your kids in groups of mixed ability and place them so that their levels complement each other - e.g. high ability next to middle, middle next to weak etc. The structures involve about 6/7 different methods of learning, so there is (for example) 'round robin' which involves all children having an equal amount of time to add to the discussion or provide an answer to an open-ended question. They can do this orally or on paper passed around them. In the structures, children are not allowed to get away with being a 'bystander' or with dominating the group - the structures prevent this from happening (if they are well-controlled by the teacher/pupils).
    Try googling Kagan and 'round robin; rally robin; quiz, quiz, trade; think, pair-share for more info on some of the learning strategies' workings.

8. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

With you on the gubbins front, but like you agree that the structures work well. Can be really good for an into or plenary and they do ensure 100% engagement if you get the level right which gets you lots of brownie points if you're being observed. Quiz, quiz, trade and stand up, hand up, pair up get used constantly in my KS1 class. The children love it and it's been great for rote learning of doubles, number facts, HF spellings etc.

9. Curious why you would call it 'Gubbins'? Does that meaan all educational theory is 'Gubbins' or just Cooperative Learning Theory? Would just like to understand where you are coming from. Cheers. GC