1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever built a big puppet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sallymgoodman, May 12, 2011.

1. sallymgoodman

sallymgoodman New commenter

Our Year Six production is based on the Lauren Child picture book Beware of the Storybook Wolves.
    I have a group of boys in my class who are fantastic at DT, and I want them to create some big puppets for the play and (hopefully) operate them. I don't think we'll be quite up to the Warhorse horses, but I'm thinking of a dragon or two - with one child moving the head and another one following with the tail. The boys want to include opening umbrellas for the wings... I think I saw something like this at a children's show at the theatre a while ago.
    So. Has anyone done anything like this before? Any tips? We have a pretty well equipped DT department - glue guns, drills, chicken wire, balsa wood, broom handles...

2. sallymgoodman

3. imc

imc

During our combined arts weeks festival type thingys we regularly produce 'large' puppets often requiring 3 or 4 operators - we use the carnival technique of light frames decorated over. We use withies (willow sticks - easily sourced if you call around a few places) these can be built into frames which are then wrapped in cling film and decorated with tissue papers etc. Puppets can then be easily handled etc.

4. sallymgoodman

Thank you - I am sourcing willow sticks as we speak!
    Are your puppets based on backpacks or rods?

I also want to try to make those little 'human head, puppet body things' - like Diddy Dick and Dom!

5. imc

imc

We have only made one back-pack style one which was quite difficult as you need an old fashioned metal back pack frame really, so most of ours are stick/rod based with broom handles or gardening canes depending on the size/weight