1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever been to a school reunion?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by brewgirl, Sep 3, 2015.

1. I always said I would never, ever go to one. Didn't want to find out everyone I went to school with had a 100k a year job and a house in the south of France.

Guess where I am going on Saturday??!

Yes indeed.... class of 93 here I come....

Anyone else?

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

yes, and it was quite fab, actually. had a really good natter and it was great fun.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes. And it was wonderful! It was a 'special' birthday for all of us and we were truly amazed how much we actually had in common. Testament to our school and the values it instilled in us!

4. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Good for you brewgirl, emily and lara. I haven't yet. Some years ago an RE teacher of 'ours' died and I didn't attend his funeral as I was working. The afternoon turned into a reunion - according to some of my peers - and it was more 'friends' reunion' than remembering the poor bloke.

5. Thanks everyone. I am going with a couple of people I have stayed friends with over the last 23 yrs since leaving but Ive changed a lot... yes I know everyone will have but....

Im about 1000 times chattier and about 7 stone heavier. lol

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I went to a 6th form college reunion, and it was great fun. I was staggered, however, by how many people who had left the town to go to university had subsequently returned. I was one of a minority who had moved away. Of course, it could have been self-selection - those local to the area attended, those far away didn't. But there were a lot of people there.

7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Yes, kissed one of my year group who then pretty much then said they wanted me to live with them but lets just say there was baggage, which my younger self (reunion was in 2010) ran a mile from mentally and it didn't happen! (Now I would probably have welcomed her with open arms.............)

8. Wow,scienceteachaghost, Im not prepared for any of those sorts of goings on! lol Better get myself spruced up in best clothing, make up and shoes for Saturday then..... :) Not that there was anyone worth kissing in my year at school...

9. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I've been to two. One was a class reunion which I enjoyed. I kept in touch with a few people for a few months during the planning and for a few months after the event but then it all fizzled out.

The other was a whole school anniversary which I went to because my sister was going so it was an opportunity to spend a day with her. I saw a few of my year group (it was when we were all coming up to our 50th birthdays). This is what led to the class reunion the following year.

If someone organised another, I'd probably go again.

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Much against my better judgment, my brother talked me into going to one about ten years ago. As I expected, the people who show up to this sort of thing are those with something to show off (it was that sort of school, anyway). Mine was the only Skoda in the car park.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I went to the 20 years one. So I was 38. I missed the 40 years one for some reason.

I could go every year though. There are numerous opportunities. Carol Service in the Cathedral. Commemoration. Special events for alumnae. They don't miss the opportunity to try (very subtly) to tap you for money!

I keep meaning to. Especially the Carol Service. Maybe this year.

12. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I have had invitations to a few but couldn't bear to go.

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Never. I do not care what happened to my fellow pupils, know none of them now, and do not wish to know any of them.

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes and loved it. That was when we were all 40. But when it was suggested again 10 years later no one was up for it. I thought we were moving into the getting ill years and didn't want to repeat it.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes....and it was brilliant. A hard core group of us were still quaffing champagne at 5am!

16. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I don't think my school has done any (didn't do one for the ten-year leaving anniversary) but I'm not sure I'd go anyway, to be honest. I didn't have a brilliant time at school and my friends are people I'm still in touch with. I guess it's lack of confidence with me; although I've achieved a lot I think I'd still feel inferior to the popular crowd.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Gawd, nor could I! I'm still in close touch with the only friend I particularly wanted to keep in touch with (we've been good pals since age 11 and we're 57 now) and don't care if I never see any of the rest of them. I'm not interested in what they've done, the kids they have or grandkids, etc.

On a related note, I recently visited a stately home and recognised one of the tour guides as a former teacher from school (thankfully, she didn't recognise me - her name badge helped confirm her identity, however). She was a beetch and a half and so I texted school friend (above) who immediately rang me, from work, and we recalled what an extreme ratbag this teacher had been.

18. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Good grief no - my time at secondary school was the most miserable time of my life. I spent 7 years being told 'must try harder' (despite having an 'interesting' home life which school, being a grammar school with aspirations of poshness, had no interest in) and being overshadowed by posh horsey people. Interestingly, from the few people I am still in touch with, my very happy, comfortable, stable life with job satisfaction is a rarity amongst my school peers. Those who were clearly being directed to the heights failed to get there.

19. Mixed bag here! The reunion is not being helpd at the school but at a social club a few miles away. The reunion is for my year and the year above so in reality Im hoping there are some people there I actually remember bar the friends Ive remained in contact with I see anyway!

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My OH and I went to the same school though 3 years a part. I wouldn't want to go back due to the miserable time I had due to bullying. It was an ordinary comp but in a wealthy area so elitism was rife and I was on the poorer side. My OH went to his reunion, but the only people who turned up were those that stayed on at 6th form. He had wanted to meet up with those that left at 16. The biggest laugh was that he got talking to one man, who I remember as being really up himself, sexist and a complete kn*b and whose sister was in my class and a right b*tch. My OH didnt have a clue what he had gone on to do and asked what he did. He was only a top jockey, very famous in the racing world at the time. My OH was mortified until i told him what he had been like and that he had probably brought him down a peg or two.