1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone done the teeth science investigation with different drinks?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ceri2evans, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi
    Just wondering if anyone can help me with this science investigation.
    I want to do the science investigation about different drinks that involves testing to see which drinks are most sugary - 'which drinks are most harmful to teeth?'

I've been told about this but wanted to know if anyone could clarify the details of the investigation for me?

if i have five different drink types i.e coke, water, squash, orange juice and milk and then the children put in red cabbage water (I've been told to boil the cabbage and collect the water to use for the testing) into the different drinks and they will change colours.
    Has anyone done this before and if so what colours should I expect?

Any other tips for this investigation? - or alternatively do you know any other tried and tested exciting investigations to do related to the teeth?

Thanks

2. Hi
    Just wondering if anyone can help me with this science investigation.
    I want to do the science investigation about different drinks that involves testing to see which drinks are most sugary - 'which drinks are most harmful to teeth?'

I've been told about this but wanted to know if anyone could clarify the details of the investigation for me?

if i have five different drink types i.e coke, water, squash, orange juice and milk and then the children put in red cabbage water (I've been told to boil the cabbage and collect the water to use for the testing) into the different drinks and they will change colours.
    Has anyone done this before and if so what colours should I expect?

Any other tips for this investigation? - or alternatively do you know any other tried and tested exciting investigations to do related to the teeth?

Thanks

3. zannar

zannar New commenter

When I did a similar experiment I used clean egg shells. These act similarly to the enamel on teeth and the children can see the effect on tooth enamel quite clearly. Hope this helps.

Oh I used coke, water, vinegar, squash and milk.

4. When I was at school myself, we did this with an actual tooth! But we only used cola as only one tooth had fallen out that week lol
    I think it might have been mine actually - I vaguely remember the teacher asking my mum if we could keep it!

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Established commenter

The Red Cabbage is a Ph indicator. It will cause a colour change that indicates how acidic your solutions are, not how sugary they are. Yellow/Green for Bases going to purple for neutral and red for acidic. You should find that orange juice is slightly more acidic (and worse for teeth) than Coke.

6. Thank you so much for your help.

I didn't mention that this is the lesson in Science I want to do during Inspection - what do you think?

7. If your investigation is to identify 'Which drink is most harmful to teeth?' then the pH indication with the red cabbage might not be so successful.
    What would be better is to explain that egg shell is very similar to the enamel on teeth. Give each group a different liquid (we used coke, vinegar, milk, pure orange juice and water), a hard boiled egg and a container.
    Discuss how each group plays a vital role in finding out which drink is most harmful. How will they make it fair? (same amount of liquid? Same size container? Same position in the classroom?) Write up the plan and put the eggs into their liquid. Leave for a week and then look at the eggs. What has happened and what does that tell us about the drink?
    If I remember rightly, the acid in the vinegar completely dissolves the egg-shell, leaving only the hard-boiled egg-white behind!!