1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

has anyone done the E111 course with OU?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by stacetheace, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Hi im doing my NVQ level 2 in childcare and also planning on going back to work as a teacher assistant.
    I was just wondering how hard it is to do the open university course E111?
    What i would like to know is how hard is it? And would you advise to do it along the NVQ level 2?
    many thanks stacey.

2. I would also be very interested to hear from anyone who has taken E111. I have an NVQ 3 and work as an HLTA. I am just completing an OU openings course (y156) Understanding Children.
    I also carry out the PLT role in my school and teach whole school PE which means I have lots of work to do at home. Some idea of the time needed per week to get through E111 would be great!
    Thanks, in advance.

3. h there,

how did you find the openings course (y156)? is it easy? i want to learn as much as much as i can and try to be the best i can.
    thanks.

4. Hi,
    I've just completed the E111 this year and I'm waiting for my results which should be available In August.
    It's quite hard to say really. I had already done the CACHE Level 2 Teaching Assistant award and E111 is far, far more in depth and "harder" than the Level 2. My personal feeling is it would be odd to do the NVQ Level 2 alongside E111. E111 is equivalent to Level 4 so there's a big difference between them. I was surprised by how much detail the course materials went into. However, whilst my headteacher did, some LEA's do not recognise E111 as a relevent qualification, but will recognise NVQ's/CACHE.
    Also the course is purely academic, there is no in school assesment done. You will need to do certain activities in school, but you write about them in Tutor Marked Assessments at the end of each section.
    If you have worked at Uni level before, you'll probably be fine straightaway. You do need to be able to write academically; structure, analysis and argument are important. I never got more than 63% because I was weaker at the analysis and arguing a point.
    Looking back, it wasn't THAT bad, but at the time it was very stressful getting a TMA in for the deadline. You have one a month sometimes, and the word count is very tight(1750) for what they want you to cover. The OU say you should spend 16 hours a week doing it. In reality it was never that much. If you did all the activities you are supposed to then maybe, but you don't need to. There is a LOT of reading but again, I'm a fast reader so this varies. You do put the time in when an assignment is due though.
    It's a worthwhile course, you do get a lot of insight into so many areas. In fact, my teachers were surprised how in depth it was. Some issues even they didn't know about!

5. Sorry, just seen it's a childcare NVQ you are doing, not a TA one. Not sure on that workload then. Some other people on my course did other OU courses alongside E111 for the last 4 months, but it was hard to do apparently.

6. Thanks so much for the info.
    Im going to leave it a while and proberly do a course in level 3 for T.As
    many thanks x

7. I found E111 very straightforward, I did it as my free choice in my BA Hons Lit degree with the OU. You have to do a few hours a week in a placement, and have access to the school policy documents, and be allowed to plan a few lessons, etc.
    As a level 1 course, I found it much easier to follow than the foundation arts course I took at the start of my OU studying - at most I spent about 5 hours a week on the written work (but obviously you have to add on the time spent in the classroom. Also, you can expect 1 tutorial a month.

Hope that helps.

8. thanks for that, i have untill oct 09 to decide and to be honest im finding myself moving towards it more and more. it is something i will want to do.
    plus i found out i only have a few more units to do on my nvq level 2 so im sure it wont be too much for me to do at the same time.
    thankyou.

9. I completed the E111 course last year, previously holding an NVQ3 in EYCC, I found the reading enjoyable and the TMA's a pain but they did get easier as I worked through the course. Yes the academic writing was harder but I found that it was much easier to organise and less time consuming and paper chasing than the NVQ3.
    As a point of interest the E111 is to become a compulsory level 1 course for the Foundation degree in Learning Support being introduced by the OU from next year onwards. Good news for me because I have spent this year working towards the Certificate in Playgroup and hated every minute, just not my age group.

10. Thanks for replying. This is very interesting news - I am pleased to hear the OU are going ahead with a FD in learning support. Do you know of any links etc where information may already be available to look at? I did ask a question about this course earlier this year but no one seemed to know anything then!

Also could you give any indication of how many hours a week you studied for E111?

Thanks for your time.[​IMG]

11. Hi at the moment I am trying to write my ECA for the OU E111. I am struggling with it and I was wondering if anyone who has done this course would be willing to share there ECA with me to give me some ideas? Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I have had to stop doing my parent helper (2 days a week) role and am having problems with writing the section on this. I would like to stress I would NOT like to copy your work I just need to have some ideas.

Gina