1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone done any of the Roald Dahl musicals? Or ideas for KS 2 please......

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lizzy71, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hi
    I was wondering if anyone out there had used/seen any of the Roadl Dahl musicals? The ones based on the Revolting Rhymes?
    If so, were they any good? How long are they? Are they suitable for KS2 and how many parts did they have?
    I am currently looking for something for KS2 to do in the summer, with years 5 and 6 having main parts. I have been told it needs to be no longer than an hour and not too much work (Typical head!!) I spotted these on the music room website and wondered about them, but could not find out length etc. Or does anyone have any other recomendations? Ideally it needs to have a rehearsal CD as I am only officially in one day a week...and the piano part needs to not be too hard......
    I know i need to go to my nearest music shop and actually look, but can not get anywhere until at least half term and i really need to have some ideas for the head before she changes her mind......!!!!!!
    Thanks!

2. Hi
    I was wondering if anyone out there had used/seen any of the Roadl Dahl musicals? The ones based on the Revolting Rhymes?
    If so, were they any good? How long are they? Are they suitable for KS2 and how many parts did they have?
    I am currently looking for something for KS2 to do in the summer, with years 5 and 6 having main parts. I have been told it needs to be no longer than an hour and not too much work (Typical head!!) I spotted these on the music room website and wondered about them, but could not find out length etc. Or does anyone have any other recomendations? Ideally it needs to have a rehearsal CD as I am only officially in one day a week...and the piano part needs to not be too hard......
    I know i need to go to my nearest music shop and actually look, but can not get anywhere until at least half term and i really need to have some ideas for the head before she changes her mind......!!!!!!
    Thanks!

3. Hi Lizzy,
    How about trying a Golden Apple Musical such as Ballooning Around The World by Alison Hedger?
    Suitable for KS2, the audience and performers are taken on a balloon journey, visiting Scotland, Russia, Spain, Egypt and Jamaica and exploring food, costumes, music and dance. It includes teacher’s notes on costuming and production, complete with a map of locations and recipes to try in the classroom. This musical also provides an opportunity for children to perform their own musical poems written as part of their Literacy Programme. Duration is around 30 mins. The teacher's book includes a backing CD too.
    Debbie Campbell's conservations musicals which she wrote in conjunction with WWF are also great and very inclusive.
    If you need anymore suggestions or more details, dont hestitate to get in contact. laura.newmarch@musicsales.co.uk
    Best wishes,
    Laura

4. Hello,
    One of ours might fit your bill - we've got various KS2 Summer shows. Duration about 45 mins, generally 7 songs, rehearsal CD and piano parts not too vicious. There are song/script samples and cast lists on the website:
    http://www.spiderwebmusicals.co.uk

and we can send you shows on approval to have a look at.
    Also if you can wait, we've got a version of A Midsummer Night's Dream coming out in March!
    V_M

5. Haven't tried any of the Roald Dahl books but if you want a good KS2 musical try Out of the Ark Music. www.outoftheark.com - try Cinderella & Rockerfella - the kids love it- great songs, funny script- we used it for our Year 6 leavers musical, everyone loved it!

6. Thanks for these ideas. Will look into them.

7. Hi,
    I have done Goldilocks and am presently doing Cinderella with Yr 4.
    Goldilocks is pretty easy to set up as it takes place in a court room and the chorus parts are mostly seated. Cinderella requires much more dancing and main parts. Both these musicals last approx 45mins each and the piano part is pretty easy as the pack comes complete with rehearsal and performance cd, ideas for staging, costumes and dance steps. They are pretty much the whole package. Hope this helps!

8. I've done Snow White and the 7 jockeys which was a lot of fun as well as Jack and the Beanstalk and The snow queen - ok not Roald Dahl but also available from A C Black. REally good songs for KS2. They lasted about 50 minutes and we had all the children involved - about 100 in total. I'd definitely recommend them.
    dahl

9. I did the Jack and the beanstalk Roald Dahl musical a couple of years ago.mit was about 40 minutes long, year. 4,5 6. They really enjoyed it and there were quite a few parts.

10. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

Perhaps you would consider looking at/listening to these links to my musical plays. After 20 years as a Primary headteacher I have taken early retirement and am concentrating on my music for schools.

These two plays should match your requirements, Arthur's Knights and Samson Power.

http://www.onemoretime.biz/aboutarthursknights.php

http://www.onemoretime.biz/aboutsamson.php

If you have any questions please email at info@onemoretime.biz

Thank you
    Brian

11. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter