1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone done any marking for GCSE papers? Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by smileaday99, Mar 12, 2011.

1. I'm currently a PGCE student and have had an invitation to mark 350 papers for OCR Gcse RE. I'm wondering whether to take them up on the invitation, and to decide I wondered how long it takes to mark papers on average and how long you tend to be given to mark? I'll still be at college during the day but I'll have weekend free.

2. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I did paper exam marking for edexcel last year, started off taking me about 30 minutes for each paper but then towards the end I got quicker and quicker so got down to 8 minutes per paper.

This year I am doing it online and have about 1200 papers to mark (eeek!) so will get it done within 3 weeks hopefully.

3. I did it as a PGCE student many moons ago and coped fine - and I had 2 small children!

4. Hi team

I am toying with marking for Edexcel - would your recommend it? Is the pay worthwhile? :)
    Thanks!
    A

5. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

It's hard work and the pay is good but the best thing is professional development.

6. I have marked for Edexcel since my PGCE year so this is my 5th year doing it and I find as long as you are organised its fine. I spend and hour and a half a day on my allocation of 1500 scripts, the week before I do a lot of batch cooking and give the house a good clean then I find I can quickly keep on top of it after school and I still have most of my weekends free. I sometimes will mark for a full day in half term so I get a few days off.

7. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I did marking for some years. The best thing was the insight it gave into how GCSE questions are marked and how they should best be answered.

8. racbre

racbre New commenter

I've marked for OCR Philosophy and Ethics since my I started teaching 8 years ago and have found it invaluable for 3 reasons: 1) Benefit for the students 2) CPD 3) £!
    I found it takes me 20 mins at the start to mark each paper (because I agonise / am a little indecisive!) but by half way through I can cut it down to an average of 10 minutes a paper. It does hamper your social life for 3 weeks-ish, but the long-term benefits far outway the short-term limitations on time. I have found my Team Leaders constantly supportive and to any new teachers I have come in to contact with I have recommended marking - even if you only do it once it is a learning experience and then you can always say you have done it.
    Go for it, you won't regret it. Good luck!

9. harlequin24

harlequin24 New commenter

I was going to mark Unit 3 for Edexcel for the first time this season. Despite being offered a contract, I had an email today saying that it was withdrawn because of a lack of demand. This is annoying because I have cancelled my usual walking trip over May half-term, and arranged for a colleague to take my place on a weekend retreat with Y10 mid-June in order to do the marking. Given the fact that the application process was a complete shambles, and that I have had my contract withdrawn so late in the day I will not be offering my services to Edexcel in the future. Caveat emptor.