1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone done a PGCE with the OU and worked part time?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Joanne2009, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Hi,
    I am thinking of doing a PGCE (secondary science) with the Open University but also staying in my part time job with the NHS. Has anyone ever done this? I am worried about the time I have to spend in schools though as I would not be able to be off work for such a long period of time.
    Has anyone done a PGCE over 2 years and done school placements 2 days a week?

2. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Hi,
    I am thinking of doing a PGCE (secondary science) with the Open University but also staying in my part time job with the NHS. Has anyone ever done this? I am worried about the time I have to spend in schools though as I would not be able to be off work for such a long period of time.
    Has anyone done a PGCE over 2 years and done school placements 2 days a week?

3. Hi Joanne,
    The first thing to say is that the OU PGCE is NOT part-time - it is flexible. While the first placement (25 days) can be done flexibly by agreement with the school, the second and third placements have blocks of 'sustained and continuous' time (so, for the level 2 placement you'd need to be available for 6 weeks in a block, and for the level 3 placement you'd need to be there for 8 weeks in a block). There is no way around this, and there is no way you could continue to work, even part-time. A PGCE course is very demanding, and if you try to stay on top of that plus work part-time, you will almost certainly fail.
    OtC