1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone been watching the Food Inspectors Series?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Mar 17, 2012.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes MM, make sure you have a separate sink for handwashing, temperature probes, your fridge temperature is maintaines at between 0 and 5C, dettox spray to clean the worktops etc.
    I've taught the hygiene certificate for years and to be honest, most of it is common sense.
    But remember that food containing FP (pathogenic) bacteria and/or toxins will not change in colour, shape, texture or smell. So a quick sniff to determine whether a meat is off is not a safe test.
    Toxins are poisons and can kill.

2. I'm all for good hygiene practices but I was trying to work out how to eat my boiled eggs this morning without touching them! I mean, after all the cleaning and of supermarket eggs I find it difficult to believe there are many people placed in serious peril after smashing the shell against the edge of the cooking bowl!

3. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

1. I use the kitchen sink and washing up liquid (antibacterial admittedly)
    2. Don't have one, never needed one, wouldn't know where to get a good one other than for roasting (presume that's the only time they are needed?)
    3. I expect my food fridge is (you never know when there may be a power outage during the day or night), can't say for the water fridge, but the water is replaced weekly.
    4. Antibacterial washing up liquid again!
    I probably fail in my kitchen, but have successfully never given myself food poisoning to my knowledge. I do throw out anything that has been sitting too long in the fridge or freezer though.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No, a temperature probe can be used on all foods to check the internal temperature, eg frying, BBQ foods, I have a BBQ fork with a thermpmeter built into it.
    However what is required by law in a kitchen producing food for sale is very different to cooking for the family at home. However, as a Food teacher I always kept the kitchen/cookery room in line with the Food Hygiene laws.

5. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

As a pom I get enough stick at a braai (BBQ) anyway, can you imagine the comments if I turned up with a built in thermometer in a BBQ fork (or the fork itself - tongs are de rigeur over here).
    I should add that my braai skills are fairly good and that I even managed to get one going in a hailstorm whilst all the locals were trying to work out how to light the firelighters. The things you can buy nowadays - I dunno!

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I actually bought it to show a class at school!! My own money, btw, but it's useful when we cook a whole shoulder of lamb on the BBQ.
    We have had BBQ's in the rain, great fun, and in the snow!!