1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone appealed to AQA for down grading their students MEDIA COURSEWORK this year?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by gmordle, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Hi All,

After teaching Media Studies GCSE AQA course for 7 years with nothing but positive feedback. This year we discovered that all our students coursework grades were brought down between 12 -15% resulting in many students achieving a grade lower than expected? We were wondering if this is a national move, towards making so called 'soft subjects' harder. Unfortunately we are getting used to mark boundaries being moved, and goal posts forever moving. We are in the process of getting these remarked, hoping we have had a rogue moderator.

Would love to hear from any media studies teachers who have experienced the same thing!

2. claireu

claireu New commenter

Hi,
    Our coursework at GCSE wasn't brought down but we did find the exam marking a lot harsher than it has been in previous years. Previously we've had a number of A*s in the exam and therefore overall. This year only one.

3. backtoback

backtoback New commenter

We also found the exam REALLY harsh but the coursework was fine.

4. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

One of my papers was re-marked at 10 marks higher on appeal! My EO suspected that the marker had "missed a section" - outrageous, but AQA won't contemplate a full re-mark without a certain percentage being appealed.

5. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

We had our AQA coursework brought down quite harshly too, which baffles me as the person who marked the coursework has been teaching media studies for over 20 years, and is part of the AQA board that creates the exams! We moderated it together (I'd only been teaching it since September, which is why he'd marked it all), and agreed on the vast majority of the marks.

The examiner's feedback on some of the moderated pieces is an absolute joke, and she was penalising for things that shouldn't have been penalised. One pupil intentionally used a grainy camera for his print work, and he backed this point up very well in his written essay and gave numerous reasons why he did it and for what effect. It was a brilliant piece of work, and literally blew us teachers away. Yet she marked it down to around a C grade level. It was an absolute joke!

MrPuss likes this.
  6. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

I decided to train as an examiner for AQA GCSE Media Studies a couple of years back and the quality of training and support was a complete joke. I've been marking English papers for AQA for 15 years, so I'm not a mug, but I ended the marking season very depressed in what was presumably being done by other exam markers. As for feedback, AQA just didn't want to know and even asked me if I might be interested in marking the following year - this after I send back 250 scripts unmarked.