1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone actually learnt a way to 'put the job down'.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Yosushi, May 31, 2011.

1. Yosushi

Yosushi New commenter

Hi there,
    The title says it all really - how do I go from this all consuming place to enjoying my work for what it is.
    I think about work so much it is doing my head in.
    To try and get away from it I go to sleep and then dream about it. I've always thought if I could learn how to:
    1. Switch off
    2. Learn that okay is good enough
    3. To shake off the feeling that I am failure off (even though I'm really not)
    4. To not take things personally
    5. To treat it like a job
    Then I would really like teaching!
    I like my subject etc but there is something about this job that I find so draining. I sort of know that I need to find ways to deal with these feelings or I forfeit any chance of doing anything with any sort of responsibility - and I don't want that.
    At the moment I am fretting about the fact that I can't organise a main school production (even though the school expects it - got a baby now and I can do my job and the extra it requires, but can not manage the part time job hours that putting on a main school production needs) and I am having a nightmare with my sixth form. One girl has just blatantly lied about me. I've been really upset by that.
    Is anyone out there with any hints, tips and can do brain/heart transplants so I don't care so much.
    Ta x

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Hi there,
    I'm still cogitating over your post but thought I should say this... have you thought about doing a "Britain's Got Talent" evening? I know it would still require a lot of work but it would mean you wouldn't have to write anything (for a start). Sets would be minimal (so less painting etc. It would be rehearsals and "guidance", it might mean less pressure? Don't know if this would be of use.

As for the rest well...
    1. Have a notbook by your bed and when your brain is full of school stuff write them down, get them on paper, it helps to clear your head.
    2. Have a "timetable" for the day, i.e. get it at x o'clock, leave at y o'clock and do a, b and c in that time, oh I haven't done c - it gets left and you do it the next day.
    3. Home time is for family, leave work at school.

I'm not sure if I've covered everything but I hope you find the balance that you need. Don't allow it to pressurise you into doing too much, that way leads to ill-health.
    Take care

3. Are you doing the play all on your own? Can you enlist the help of other staff to do some of the work, e.g. get the art department to do the set? Can you get the students off timetable a few days before for final rehearsals? It's only a couple of small suggestions, but it might help tip the balance towards you getting on top of things.

4. Yosushi

Yosushi New commenter

Hi there,
    Thanks Eva, to get sixth formers would be the best way forward I think. The more delegation the better.
    I'm glad its half term. Having some time away does give time to think about how to move forward.
    I hope everyone is having a rest out there!!