1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anybody secured a full time job internally after long term supply? Share your stories!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Hannadelaney, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Hannadelaney

Hannadelaney New commenter

Hi all,

Supply teachers get such a bad rep and I'm sure there are some brilliant long term supply teachers out there who prove people wrong.
    I couldn't wait to go back to long term supply after resigning from my full time post. Sounds crazy right? It's true! I worked in a really naff FE college. Totally uninspiring and I felt my talents were wasted so I tried my luck out in the field again.
    It has been brilliant so far. When I was still doig my PGCE I completed a spring and summer term at an Academy which was a bit rough and ready but I loved it. I started my full time FE job that very summer and stayed until Christmas just gone. I am now working long term in a grammar school and that is great. I feel you get so much experience and it's a really good way of networking and seeing whether you would work somewhere like that or not.
    I for one would but I have never applied for a full time job at the school I did a supply post at.
    What are your stories? Do you know anyone who has been kept on forever because the team loved them and management were impressed?

Let me know.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Full time job, or, do you really mean permanent?

3. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Somewhat of a change of tone from not having QTS? Your difficulty is in persuading employers that you have the expertise in schools rather than Post-Compulsory and that they will employ you as qualified rather than unqualified. From reading your posts you finished PGCE in 2014 Post-Compulsory. You have now realised you should have completed a course including QTS and are trying to find a way round it.

I'm sure you will impress but if a school can employ you as unqualified they will, it's cheaper. Bite the bullit and pay for your own assessment. You will then earn the money back. You could fall lucky and a school finance it for you, but don't hold your breath.

Hannadelaney likes this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

There is an issue with getting a contracted job at a school you have supplied at if it was through an agency.

As part of the contract signed between a school and agency the school has agreed to pay a "finder's fee" if they take on someone an agency has sent to them in the past. The idea being that the agency introduced the teacher to the school and the school's decision to employ them full time was influenced by this. The fee can be very expensive (four figures) and applies for a certain time period after the teacher last worked in that school (its something like six months).

So a school cannot take on an agency supply immediately without incurring a large cost. Some schools are happy to pay (although I can count on one hand how many teachers I have met who found this) and some agencies are happy to forget about the fee if it maintains good relations with the school. I also expect some schools might "forget" to mention any arrangement they might make with a teacher to the agency.

Simply put it means that working as an agency teacher in a school is perhaps not the best way to secure a contracted full time job there.

Hannadelaney likes this.
  5. Hannadelaney

I'd be happy to pay it, I just need to be somewhere long enough to do the assessment. It's about 12 weeks.
    With you on that one. Them supporting it is just a "would be nice but not essential" thing.

6. Hannadelaney

Ah. I didn't know about that! Interesting. Thank you.
    I rarely receive useful responses but I must make a fuss of yours because it actually helps me.

7. Hannadelaney

I think you completely understood what I meant but can't go an evening without a good trolling session.

8. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Have you thought of writing to schools you like and explaining the situation. For example MGS, AGGS, AGSB may well consider employing you as unqualified until you gain QTS if you give them something in return, ie expertise at low cost. Try it.

Hannadelaney and les25paul like this.
  9. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

I recently applied for a (permanent) job, after having carried out long term supply work since September. I got the job, but turned it down, as I discovered that the school was not a place I would like to work.

Provided one sells one's skills appropriately, I don't think there is any reason supply teachers should be held back from permanent work.

Hannadelaney likes this.
  10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

One of a good teacher's essential skills is that of clear communication. Another is not to make (childish) assumptions.

Hannadelaney likes this.
  11. fennysnake

fennysnake New commenter

Me. I did it.

After a really unhappy experience, I went on supply. I did a week's supply replacing a teacher who had left mid term. The head asked me to stay till the end of term. Then to stay for the next term ... I said I didn't really want to work full time, and she asked me how many days a week I would like to work! Then I was asked to do an additional term in a different class part time ... then I applied for and got a full time post at the school.

I'm really happy to be there.

Hannadelaney and pepper5 like this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

What a wonderful story feenysnake. It just goes to show that moving from supply to permanent post can be done for those who are seeking full time permanent work.

Hannadelaney likes this.
  13. Hannadelaney

I am so very, very, sincerely sorry for accidentally typing that.
    Please go away. You weren't even responding with anything other than a criticism of my post.

14. Hannadelaney

Well done you! That's a really positive thing to hear. Were you teaching long? It must be so nice to work supply in a school with people you could actually work with. High quality individuals like yourself don't stay on supply very long. You did very well there.

15. Hannadelaney

Thank you, that's very good advice.

16. Hannadelaney

I really am sorry if you didn't mean to be rude. I've had it up to here with trolls and had my guard up.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I managed to do it and the agency I was with at the time would have kindly waived the finders fee so I could take it up.

But then I was offered a permanent position at another school so in the end I went there.

18. Hannadelaney

Good stuff. Sounds like you made an impression.
    I'm going to submit my QTLS to ensure that I'm not offered a post and then unable to take it because of my status.

19. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

A nasty position to be in is to be offered a job by a school on the proviso that you pay the finder's fee.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Would probably be worth it in the long term though don't you think JR

Wonder if anyone has ever actually had to do this.