1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anybody ever listened to an audio book?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by skt107, May 13, 2012.

1. skt107

skt107 New commenter

Considering trying one and wondered what it's like? Often my eyes are too tired to read at night so I'm only very slowwwwwwly getting through my book!

2. skt107

skt107 New commenter

Considering trying one and wondered what it's like? Often my eyes are too tired to read at night so I'm only very slowwwwwwly getting through my book!

3. It's somebody reading a book, like on the wireless. They do different voices too.

4. Just the best. Download a book onto ipod or whatever, turn on the sleep timer, plug in the earphones and relax! Well worth it, but best not to go for a scary book!

5. They are brilliant, I love them.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Great for in the car.

7. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Fantastic especially if you have insomnia. I used to lie awake for hours but now I'm asleep in just a few minutes.
    I've downloaded one to my iphone that has free books - classics like Pride and Prejudice and Anne of Green Gables. It doesn't much matter if you like the book or not. You set the sleep timer to 15 minutes and you'll be asleep in five. It keeps playing so you just miss out huge chunks of the book.
    I have listened to whole books too and some of the readers are excellent. They are all volunteers.
    I haven't got any that I've paid for but, if they are even nearly as good as these free ones, they will be well worth buying.

8. skt107

skt107 New commenter

Thanks! I never have any problems sleeping so not so worried about that hehe!
    Might give one a whirl and let you know how I get on! Which are the best iphone apps?

9. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

The one I've got is called Audiobooks. You can get a free download or one for 69p but I don't know the difference. You can then download a selection of free books or you can pay for them. I'm a cheapskate so I've only gone for free books. I don't think there's anything modern on there but as you know I only want something to put me to sleep.

10. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

A friend of mine got Time's Arrow by Martin Amis on tape, the story is told in reverse order. Each night she listened to the tape, fell asleep and then had to rewind the tape to the last bit she could remember before listening again the next night. The backwards nature of the narrative and the rewinding and fast forwarding meant that she ended up experiencing a very disjointed and confusing version of the text.
    Probably less of an issue with MP3s I expect.

11. Kindle will read most books to you. It's not as "acted" as some audiobooks but perfectly adequate.

12. Goldopals

Goldopals New commenter

I used to listen to audiobooks regularly on my 7 hour drive to visit my parents. I found a website called " booksshouldbefree.com " and books are free to download, supposedly legal as all books poster are past their copyright. The only books available are quite old.

13. I used to do charity work for the library Talking Book service. The 'books' were a mixture of cassette tapes and CDs, the former of which were lead a hard life, so it was one of my little jobs to look for kinks in the tapes and then put them in the scrap bucket. Many of these found there way home with me, so I often used to flit around the house, during the hiolidays, listening to one on an old Walkman.

14. Older people might like not having to turn pages and some actors appear to make a decent living from reading the words with all due expression. It's not for everyone, though, especially those who like books.

15. skt107

skt107 New commenter

Oooh this sounds interesting. Might be worth trying a free one first then![

16. I love audio books. I find they make my 45 minute journey to work tolerable. At the moment I get them from audible and download them onto my iphone, but it's not cheap. I used to get them from the library, but they were often damaged. I'm definitely going to have a look at the free downloads site.

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thanks for the booksshouldbefree website suggestion. I love audio books for long journeys in the car but struggle to find many to choose from. Audible is a good site but not cheap. Access to free audio books sounds great!
    I learnt to love the classics from audio books. When I read the Mayor of Casterbridge now I can still pick out which bits were edited from the audio book I had aged 11. The tape fell apart about 25 years ago now but I can still hear the reader's voice and copy bits of his intonation.