1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has any NQT achieved outstanding in a lesson obs, if so HOW!?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Simran58, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Has any NQT achieved outstanding in a lesson obs, if so HOW!?
    Has any experienced teacher achieved an outstanding in a lesson obs, if so How?!

2. Has any NQT achieved outstanding in a lesson obs, if so HOW!?
    Has any experienced teacher achieved an outstanding in a lesson obs, if so How?!

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

NQTs should not be given a grade for lesson observations. At least that was what I was always told!

Yes, I recieved an outstanding for a literacy lesson (year 5) in my second year of teaching. It was a motivating lesson. The children were using amazing persuasive vocabulary. They showed great prior knowledge from our unit of work. The furthered their learning by learning what causal connectives were and they then went on to show this understanding by using them in their work. Great discussions, a buzz in the classroom and fantastic work produced. The kids were great so I could genuninely reward regularly.

I just wish that every lesson was like that!

4. This is something I have wondered too, my lessons are considered to be satisfactory. Having observed others though who are supposed to be good teachers I do wonder what exactly they do to achieve this as the lessons I have seen weren't that great either (obviously they only put real effort in for SLT observing them, not an nqt looking for tips)

It seems that even though schools aren't supposed to grade they do (this even happened on my pgce).

hhhh likes this.
  5. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Lead commenter

The best advice I was ever given was that you need a starter that engages all students and links to the main part of the lesson.
    Pace is so important. Setting timed tasks is essential. If you were to observe a skilful colleague, you'd notice how clear their instructions are, the excellent relationships with students, and the ability to assess thoroughly where kids are.
    It's as though they do it effortlessly and with a high level of confidence. Observe these teachers and see what you can pick up.

6. "Outstanding" - you have to teach a difficult concept and all the class have to get it.

7. I've had 2 NQT observations so far and i havent been graded on either of them...i've just been given positive feedback- all of the lesson strengths stated..and then a couple of areas for development to work on for next time. i think this is far more useful/helpful than being graded and worrying about achieving 'outstanding'...i think its probably unlikely an NQT would be "outstanding" very often anyway....we're still learning! [​IMG]

8. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Other poster is correct, you shouldn't be being graded by Ofsted criteria.

9. I am an nqt and was given outstanding for my first observation based on ofsted criteria.

My friend has the head as her mentor and she graded it in this way for her - i was curious so asked my mentor to do the same!

He gave me the criteria oftsed use and justified exactly why he gave me an outstanding.

10. hi

same here, i'm an NQT, was observed the other week, and was graded outstanding, although I had practiced the lesson with another class and it was very much a one off as I knew i was being graded, not something I could do every lesson as I'd be knackered! It was the dull topic of the three types of geography, and it was fast paced, and had elements of visual, audio and kinaesthetic techniques and some thinking skills stuff.

11. JG7

JG7

From what I've experienced so far you need:

clear lesson aims that you refer back to at the end or throughout the lesson

an engaging starter task

fast moving activities with very clear instruction (preferably with a mixture of individual work and team work/ peer assessment and fun and games)

some form of assessment

differentiation

a clear plenary that draw on all areas of the lesson and is fun

every child has to make significant progress in their learning, and enjoy it

and if all that fails then go and teach science, esp physics - there are so few physics teachers that schools are so desperate to keep you that they tell you you're outstanding whenever they can. a great ego boost but probably not that great from the learning point of view...

12. nice generalisation and a well argued point with an indisputable conclusion. Do you encourage your pupils to use this kind of higher level thinking?

13. I had my first LEA obs today. Went great, considering it was with my awful class! I got a '2', which I believe means 'good'. I was absolutely over the moon with this, it's only my first observation after all!

14. @JG7: An unnecessary comment I feel! I am a Physics teacher, and in fact the only one in my entire school. I can't see that recruiting another Physics teacher would be easy even for September, and probably impossible during this year. But I got a satisfactory in my first observation at the school (graded by Ofsted criteria because it was external - oh the joy of academies), and it was justified. The reasoning was that the pupils, although they engaged well with the activities, didn't make much progress, which was entirely true. (Panic not, I am currently working very hard on behaviour with them as they are a mixed ability group of 10 "difficult" students, and they all stayed in the same classroom in their seats for the first time during that lesson so I was thrilled with their progress in that respect).

Alldone likes this.
  15. I was graded by Ofsted criteria by my LEA today. So I don't think it's just academies that do that; I think it's most LEAs too.

16. Out of all my NQT observations I was only graded by Ofsted criteria in my actual ofsted observation and the observations carried out by the PEP, SIP and other LA peeps.

17. Stokecitygirl

Stokecitygirl New commenter

I've been graded in all of my NQT observations, two were good, one good with OF and the final outstanding.

What I have been told is:
    -good relationships
    -motivation
    -clear instructions
    -pace
    -challenge
    -differentiation
    -books showing progress over time
    -marking
    -questioning
    -high expectations

Hope this helps!

18. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As with all lesson feedback you need to focus more on what they say about the strengths and areas for development and less on the label

19. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Friend of mine is an ex Head of Physics. Was begged by a school to teach for 5 weeks leading up to the exams - GCSE and A level. The school had no Physics teachers. All 7 in the department had left and supply teachers generally left at lunchtime.
    I too was a Physics (and Chemistry) teacher for almost 30 years before retiring. But - I was never graded on observations - in fact the only times I was observed was every 3 years or so as part of a Professional development. No Ofstead either. The joys of working in the Independent sector - have you considered it?

20. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Have a look at that post on here about lesson observations-wouldn't worry too much about labels-what matters is that you are a caring, committed good teacher most of the time-anyone will have some bad lessons-it shouldn't be about show lessons.
    Only my opinion-and yes in my day we did do lots of obs of each other, but it wasn't so formal. We were realistic about the fact some classes are tougher than others-what's the point focussing on getting a grade 1 with a lovely 'easy' class and stressing that there are some classes you're unlikely to manage this with? One of the best teachers I know managed to turn around an 'unteachable' group but only got a 2-to me he was outstanding because hardly anyone could do anything with that group!