1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has 2015 changed your holiday destinations?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 21, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I heard this discussion being advertised ... locales that have fallen from favour in the aftermath of 2015. So Egypt, Tunisia and Turkey are all in decline...

upload_2016-3-21_18-58-30.png

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...ourists-opting-for-safer-holiday-destinations

And yes I know the article is from January but couldn't find something more recent.

Weirdly this year sees me off to Cyprus to visit the in-laws which is about as close to Syria as I'm ever likely to get.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We're getting the ferry back from Dunkirk this year instead of Calais, which has become too unpredictable. That aside, no change to destinations. I wouldn't consider Turkey or N Africa anyway, and have no desire to return to the USA.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Won't be going to Africa (or eastern Med) any time soon...

4. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

Turkey's off my list. I wouldn't go there now if it were free.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's one that didn't occur to me... but yeah, I think my parents avoided Calais on a recent France trip.

I guess Lesbos and other Greek Islands will also be suffering.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My OH's company reports poor sales at French airports and stations since the attacks at Bataclan. It wouldn't put me off France. Not at all.

Of the others? I wouldn't dream of going to any of them except the US and (at a push) Spain. And have never wanted to.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Does this make Britain an attractive prospect for holidaymakers?

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

The world was in London this last weekend. Heaving.

9. FrankWolley

One thing to remember is that security at Calais (&Eurotunnel) has been ramped up, whereas it hasn't been at Dunkirk... And there are many more sailings from Calais, plus it's shorter. Personally I'll be sticking to Calais unless I was driving north from France.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We wouldn't go to Eastern Med. or N Africa now. I'm glad we have already been to Morocco and Istanbul, we had memorable visits before things became more unstable. Wouldn't fancy Egypt anyway. Feeling somewhat anxious about our US trip next month but that's just me. We're going to the Basque country in June which has had major problems in the past.
    I worry more about son 2 in London really. He works in the centre and rides a bike. But what's that saying about never knowing the time.

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Going to the States in May, Italy with a school group in November. I would love to go to Egypt, but they haven't been too safe for Brits and Americans for the last few years. No interest in Turkey....

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Most of the time Calais is OK, but it can get a bit hairy when organised protests kick off, and as we're in a camper van we're a natural target for roof climbers and hangers on.

It actually turned out slightly cheaper to go Dover-Calais Dunkirk-Dover too.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
    ValentinoRossi likes this.
  14. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Depends where you go. I won't have a holiday this year and wish others a good time. Many events appear to be turning into a sort-of first world problem - type of issues. Especially if you are going to Europe.

My non-holiday is money and lack of company btw. All other good folks on here should enjoy a break.

I did get the point of your thread, @lanokia - sorry to hijack.

cissy3 and ValentinoRossi like this.
  15. inky

inky Lead commenter

We'll be doing more of the same.
    By the way, we've found that flying via Orly from London City is much cheaper, as well as faster, than Eurostar. We're lucky as it also lands us nearer Montparnasse, from which we take the onward train on our journey, and there's a great airport bus that goes direct to it so we don't have to bother with the metro.

16. FrankWolley

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  17. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Two explosions at Zaventem, Brussels airport this morning. So Belgium becomes no-go too ?
    Honestly, we grew up with the threat of IRA bombing, have you forgotten that ?
    I feel no more in danger than before the Paris atrocities, but I am in a very quiet, rural part of France. No bag searches in shopping centres here, but did get asked to open my handbag in Bordeaux

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I wouldn't travel through Belgium just now. They seem to be struggling with an ongoing threat.

19. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Breaking news just announced an explosion on the Metro station there. :(

20. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I stupidly looked at twitter for information about the airport. Too many graphic pictures - it looks horrific.