1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Harvey Weinstein stripped of his honorary CBE.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Sep 18, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An official announcement in The London Gazette confirms that the Queen has annulled his appointment as a Commander of the Order of the British Empire. About time, too.

The decision was made at a recent meeting of the Honours Forfeiture Committee, which is independent from government.

Pineapple Face was awarded the CBE in 2004.

vannie and ilovesooty like this.
  2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Quite right too.

vannie and ilovesooty like this.
  3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Why the long wait? o_O

Morninglover likes this.
  4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Good.

ilovesooty likes this.
  5. T34

T34 Lead commenter

"Order of the British empire" !!!!

Why on Earth is such an award even existing?

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Harvey Weinstein O.B.E. (Ordered Out of the British Empire)

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It's a bit like Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres

8. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Whatever possessed saintTony to award it to that horrible, slimy, ne'er-do-well in the first place, I ask?

Am I the only one who remembers a sustained campaign back then, fronted by Equity and supported to the hilt by the editors of the Mail, the Telegraph and wait for this, every single one of the dirtyDigger's noble newspapers from the Thundrer to the soarawaySun and via the much lamented news-of-the-Screws [ shortly before Andy Coulson became editor, I think] in opposition to that vile man.

But all to no avail !

Till today that is, when justice has finally been done and the reputation of the British Honour's system is restored to its rightful, stain-free pedestal.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Good. Anyone who associated with him should be ashamed.

vannie likes this.
  10. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

I can't get my head round the pomposity and self-regard of a committee which thinks that stripping an outstandingly unpleasant man of a meaningless award somehow makes the slightest difference to the price of fish. It suggests that we should look up to Members, Officers, Commanders and Knight Commanders of the Order of the British Empire, when in fact most of these badges are conferred on people to recompense them for a lieftime of dedicated ****-crawling.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    T34 likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It makes no difference to the price of fish, but if it makes any difference to him and his self-regard, all the better.

mothorchid likes this.
  12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

They can afford to be ashamed now.
    The Democrats already have his money and the actors already have their movie credits.

LondonCanary likes this.
  13. Katzenjammer

i have no doubt that anything which teaches this dreadful man a lesson is worth doing; but I would have thought that only financial penalties and personal humilation would meet the case. Taking a badge from him I don't think would worry him.

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Whilst I agree with you entirely, I do so from the perspective of the unlikelihood of ever being awarded a gong. The headmaster of the school I attended was awarded an OBE and we never heard the last of it. So far as I remember it had something to do with being a member of the Rotary Club.

As a headmaster, I've reflected in later years that he was a strict no-nonsense one, but he had our best interests at heart. When he took the school over it had just been designated to be a technical school and to his credit, ensured that every kid, whatever their academic ability would leave it with sufficient skill in something to be employable.

They were of course, different times with different values in the 60s. I can remember the shock when the Beatles were awarded MBEs and tales of people awarded such gongs returning them to the palace as they felt their worth had been devalued.

Since this thread began, I've been pondering whether it would be a more effective deterrent to crime if instead of sending them to prison, people convicted of criminal behaviour were stripped of whatever Mickey Mouse educational qualifications they were given and had to find a job these days without them.

It isn't just the pomposity and self-regard of a committee, or an award that no longer serves a benefit to mankind, it's just we live in a society now, where everything is bogus.

Alice K and Laphroig like this.
  15. Katzenjammer

Modelmaker: my best compliments to you on a first rate post. What makes me glad that I am a great deal nearer the end of my life than the beginning is the sheer falsity, triviality and shallowness of much of what makes up modern life. In particular, the state of the arts in society makes me sad for its betrayal of craftmanship effortfully acquired and then deployed to an intelligent purpose. The cowardice of the critics who failed to nail the empty pretensions, the vapid ideas and the piffling ethos of composers, writers, poets, dramatists and painters in the 1960s [did any decade have more to answer for?] has created a world where someone has only to say that s/he is an artist to be respected as one. Bah, humbug!

Alice K likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Or 23 years in prison.