1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

harvest - key stage 3

Discussion in 'Music' started by floyd1985, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Hi
    I've just put our school's name down to take part in a harvest concert in october, but wondered if anyone could suggest any harvest/food hymns/songs which we could perform for it. I've looked through other people's comments on harvest, but think the pieces might be aimed more at primary school pupils. I'm looking more towards years 7,8 and 9. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks :)

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Rutter's "For the beauty of the earth" comes in a SS/SA version, which might be doable...

3. There are many traditional West African rhythms associated with
    harvest - both field work and celebration when the work is done. I am a
    teacher of African drumming and provide workshops for schools (primary
    and secondary), so if you are within 100 miles
    of my base in Yorkshire you could consider booking me in to lead some
    workshops and also the performance if you wish. There is inormation about my workshops on the Marketplace forum.
    b.ayengio@yahoo.co.uk

4. Hi there,
    Similarly to the other comment, Rutter's 'All things bright and beautiful' might be doable too. There is a book published by OUP called something like 'Flexible Anthems' which you will be able to use for not only harvest but christmas, easter and other seasons of the year.
    If you are looking for hymns, besides 'We Plough the Fields and Scatter' you could have 'For the beauty of the earth (tune Noricum), For the fruits of his creation (tune Ar Hyd Y Nos), Praise and Thanksgiving (tune Bunessan (same as morning has broken)), Come, ye thankful people come (tune St George's, Windsor), To thee, O Lord, our hearts we raise (tune Bishpgarth).
    I hope that is of some use - apologies, this is the organist side of me coming out! If you need any other advice where hymns are concerned please do get in touch.
    All the best,
    D

5. Thanks everyone
    I've written those ones down but basically it's a first come first served basis depending on whether anyone else has requested them already. I probably won't know if I can do those hymns until I go back to school in September. But I'll definitely get in touch if I'm still struggling as you'd be a great help [​IMG] Thanks

6. Not a problem. Feel free to message me on here, or if you prefer I can send you my email address, whatever's easiest for you!

All the best,
    Daniel