1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Harvard Referencing System

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I have enjoyed this discussion :)
    I am a bit of a realist, the Preface is often the last thing written....

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Yep, a point noted in my original response.

3. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Ah, but it shouldn’t be!
    When writing a piece of work, I often found the most difficult part to be the introduction. However, if you get the introduction right, the essay will flow more naturally from it. No matter how many time’s my children struggled to come out with an introduction and suggested they leave it and come back to it when the essay was complete, I advised against it.
    An preface or introduction shouldn’t be written last. It lends structure and gives the work a purpose. Write it last, and you risk your work losing its direction.
    I by no means claim to be an expert in writing, you understand. I’m in no way qualified to be.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Unless you are using a direct quote you absolutely don't need a page number. Or I sincerely hope you don't - I am just about to submit my doctoral thesis and will need to do about 6 months additional work.....

lilachardy likes this.
  5. tinalouisegriffiths

tinalouisegriffiths New commenter

Can I just add my bit....
    Hopefully, she is using either Mendeley or the ref manager within Word?
    Also, some universities have their own style, for example, MMU have MMU Harvard Style which is downloadable to either word or Endnote?

6. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

As far as I understand it, even if you paraphrase, you still have to give a page number. You can’t paraphrase someone else’s idea and reference it, without showing where it came from. You could attribute any belief to any scholar if you don’t and have nothing to prove it’s their idea - either that or you could be trying to hide the fact it’s their idea and pass it off as your own.

7. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Hi Mandala - hope you are well and good luck with your viva - Do you know when that is yet?

Re: the use of page numbers when doing an in text citation, this requirement can vary between universities/ courses

Some universities ask for all in text citations to have page numbers, while others only need page numbers when using a direct quote - that often seems to be the case with phd thesis’ as often one point will be backed up by more than one source.

tinalouisegriffiths likes this.
  8. mandala1

As I said, I'm close to finishing my doctorate and am in referencing hell. Thank goodness my University doesn't use the system that you have to use, Doglover. My supervisors (who are widely published) also advise this approach.

9. mandala1

Hello Moonpenny! Thanks - I hope things are going well for you. No date yet for the viva - it's quite terrifying in a nice sort of way!