1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter theme for a book week.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by piglet33, Dec 29, 2010.

1. piglet33

piglet33 New commenter

Hi,
    We have to do a book week the first week back and I am thinking about doing Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone as it was the last book we read at the end of last term and my year 5 class loved it! Has anyone done any work around this book? I am looking for ideas to link it with Literacy, Maths, and art in particular.
    Or failing that if anyone has done any other books that we could read and complete a display on in 4 afternoons then feel free to share!

Thanks

2. If you've just done Harry Potter, I'd stick with that. I was going to suggest A Series of Unfortunate Events, but you won't have time to read that in a week! As for activities - you could do something with creating spells and potions, maybe a Wanted poster for Voldemort, book reviews etc. For maths do you need something that is going to span the whole week? One activity you could do it link it to timetables - looking at a daily timetable for Harry or something. Ummm...will keep thinking of ideas, but that's all I've got at the moment!

3. Still thinking - have the children seen the film? You can watch that with them and discuss whether the characters were as they imagined them to be, then look at comparisons. They could write a sports report about the Quidditch match.

Still thinking about the art front.

4. Hi,
    Apologies for the length of this post - but i have recently finished a Harry Potter themed unit, and as part of this we had a 'Day at Hogwarts'. It looks as though some of the ideas may be of use to you here.
    We played quidditch (a combination of hoops, cable ties, netballs, tennis balls, tag rugby belts & lots of enthusiasm) - the kids absolutely loved it! They also wrote the rules to our new version of quidditch which linked to literacy & instructions.
    Other sessions included ancient runes - they translated simple sentences & their names into ancient runes, made clay name plates & paper name labels which looked fabulous on display. They also investigated the 'history' of runes with the help of a very knowledgeable TA and the ICT suite.
    We had 'herbology' - with two mystery plants (root ginger & a butternut squash). They had to complete detailed drawings of the plants (to scale which linked to maths for the older children), and then create a factfile for the plant in which they had to 'imagine' the name, growth/germination/reproductive details & uses of the plant - we had some amazing responses to this one.
    In potions the children created their own fruit punches - basically combinations of different fruit juices & sparkling water with pieces of fruit added as magical ingredients - pomegranate seeds, grapes, melon, raisins, pineapple, oranges etc all became dragons teeth, and rat eyeballs etc (this was a surprising hit with the boys!!).
    A literacy based task involved the class writing letters home to their families, ready to be sent by the owl service. They described their new house & classes in school etc.
    For maths i devised a game based on a wizards duel. I created a load of spells on cards, and gave each spell an 'operation' - eg: alohomora was +130 I think. The children worked in pairs with a set of cards, and basically worked through a series of sums to find a total when all cards were used. (There are loads of ways this could have been adapted or differentiated!)
    The children also had to create a spell of their own - using a word root dictionary to try and help them. They named the verbal command, the wand action & the effects of the spell. More able children also linked to counter curses (some from the books & others they had made up).
    We made chocolate frogs with a wide range of imaginative fillings (& edible green food spray!!) & then the children created their own frog cards - made up their own witch or wizard & wrote a biography for the card - linked back to literacy work.
    I think that was the main basis of the day - we started with a sorting hat (kids chose cards from a cauldron which split them into 4 teams) & had our lunches in the classroom at lunchtime in the style of the great hall & a feast. I made a timetable which was shown on the IWB all day, showing each house & the activities - i was amazed at how many kids were in front of it over the course of the day. The timetable was also great for further maths lessons later in the week.
    I hope some of this is useful - fairly sure i still have most of the resources - parchment paper, instruction sheets, formats for kids to complete etc. Happy to email stuff over if you think any of it would be useful. It's not up to much, but it may be a start for you!
    Sorry for poor spelling/grammar - its late & I've been up for a long time!!!
    B x

5. piglet33

piglet33 New commenter

Wow fantastic ideas - thank you! I love the idea of the potions lesson with making fruit cocktails, I bet they loved that! Now I just have to think about how many ideas I can fit in! We have already watched the film and finished the book so it will be nice to just concentrate on doing some nice activities to create our display!

Thank you so much!