1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Harry and Meghan quit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes, I know 'quit' is strong... just my first thought...

BetterNow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As long as they hand in their title and give back any money from the Queen's purse.Then is fine the make their own way in life like other royals.
    Meghan already setting up her own firm to capitalise upon the Sussex name and Harry cant cope with his job although he has done his job in the past.
    They want to pick and choose what they do.

Nanny Ogg, BetterNow, caress and 5 others like this.
  4. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Intriguing !!!

Pregnant with potential, indeed.

"The launch of our new......"

• Royal Yacht?
    • Star-ship Enterprise?
    • Designer hoodie?
    • Coffee-table-style "I Spy Book of Royal Pigmies" ?
    • TV show: "It's a big Royal brother" ?

The mind boggles.

caress and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I’m not sure what this means. I assume it means they will no longer do the tedious boring stuff official duties but can still use position/titles to do bits they like . Good about financial independence though. I hope this means they will be paying for their own security.
    I thought the problem was the public scrutiny they were receiving , I don’t see how this will change if they are promoting their charities ( publicity is the whole point of their role in them) and constantly instagramming to the world.

I notice this announcement was made via Instagram.

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Don’t blame them. I’d want to get my kid as far away as possible from such a dysfunctional family.

MAGAorMIGA, Lara mfl 05 and colacao17 like this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I appreciate Harry loves his wife, but it seems to be the marriage has not improved him, other than giving him the love and security he might have missed due to the death of his mother,

8. lizziescat

I always thought there was a ban on overtly making personal financial gain on the back of the Royal Position. I guess this is what was meant by ‘changing the Royal Family.

9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Duchy biscuits etc have been around for a while.

10. lizziescat

I’d support them wholeheartedly and understand if they were retiring from public life ( they wouldn’t be the first royals to do so) But I’m not sure this is the intention.

Laphroig, Lara mfl 05 and Jamvic like this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That’s quite a big thing to have gained though, don’t you think.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well, didn't we all see this coming. Seems like the best thing to me. They'll always be celebrities. He's not had an easy time and he should try to have a happy life like the rest of us do. He's rich, but so are many people, its not his fault.

13. lizziescat

True, although I thought this was an institutional thing (ie for the Duchy of Cornwall?) rather than individual gain ie a bit like the Queen selling Buck House souvenirs .
    I know it’s a fine line.

Lara mfl 05, Jamvic and primarycat like this.
  14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I suspect they would like to retire from public life but knowing they would never be fully left alone and the ‘Firm’ not wanting to look like it’s been rejected a ‘middle ground’ compromise probably had to be agreed upon.

15. lizziescat

I have no problem with them being rich and would of course wish happiness upon them. I am just confused because I thought it was the publicity which had ‘got to them’ and that doesn’t seem to be what they are retiring from.

caress, Laphroig and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Agree.

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Good for them.
    Charles and HMQ both favour a slimmed down royal family, so this is ideal.
    I'd hate to be part of all this, so a brave move to quit as they are. The writing was on the wall when Archie was not given a title.
    I wish them well.

18. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Exactly like father like daughter. Nothing personal I suppose they are nice people but as far as the public purse is concerned less mouths to feed. HeardPrince Charles once spent £300000.on his Australian tour :eek:

caress likes this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I would imagine it has been being told what to do that has been the problem. They want to be able to be in charge of their own lives. No doubt this has been the root of the problem between the brothers. Dickie Arbiter (press officer) has compared it with Ed 8th abdicating. What rubbish!!

Lara mfl 05, BelleDuJour and Jamvic like this.
  20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Fewer, not less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.