1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Harris Burdick

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LouiseBCN, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Has anyone used the Mysteries of Harris Burdick as a writing stimulus? I'm using it for a Year 4 lesson observation and wondered if anyone had any tips, ideas or lessons plans based around it. Thanks.

2. Has anyone used the Mysteries of Harris Burdick as a writing stimulus? I'm using it for a Year 4 lesson observation and wondered if anyone had any tips, ideas or lessons plans based around it. Thanks.

3. I love Harris Burdick!

Are you going the whole hog, with the background info about the illustrations? Or just using one of the pictures?

Which pictures are you using?

I have used several of them as a writing stimulus with year 6 and most children love them.

4. I'm thinking of using discussing 5 or 6 of them discussing them and getting each table to use them as a starting point for writing. How have you used them in the past JD? My year class has a huge range of ability from reception level to year 6. Any advice appreciated (I'm an NQT and its my first obs by head!)

5. Am on my way out for a Chinese and a drink (the pressures of teaching require this Friday night ritual), but will get back to you tomorrow.
    jan@dolphinscottage.co.uk

6. Thanks very much!!!

7. we've done a range of things eg could brainstorm what they see hear touch smell feel about their picture. Could do this for 10 mins and then pass to another table to add to this in another colour. Then pass to third table to do an activity. (could model brainstorm as intro on board with another picture)
    Activities could vary
    Eg could write a descriptive paragraph, could write a diary entry as if they are key character in picture, could plan a story around this picture, could write what happened before or after

8. Thanks bluerose. All of those are fab ideas, particularly like the what you can see, hear, feel, touch...

9. Oh and could anyone tell me how they have used it for writing with differentiation?

10. whichever genre/activity you chose the differentiation can come from support eg you work with a group to support or to push them
    also in the amount you give them eg LA might have a word bank to help which MA wont necessarily have
    Ma might have been asked to use punctuation and connectives form L4/5 on pyramids
    Outcome will also be differntiaion method ie expecting less from LA Each group could have different success criteria which could include amount and whats to be included

11. Thanks again bluerose!

12. Hi there,
    I am considering using the mysteries of Harris Burdick for a lesson observation and have been thinking about getting them to imagaine what happened just before or just after a picture so it has been pleasing to note that you too have thought about this also.
    I am however struggling to think of a suitable learning objective to match with this task. Do you happen to have any ideas here as I am sure I am just having a bit of a mental blank!
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated