1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Harmony Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Razinarearz, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Razinarearz

Razinarearz New commenter

Hello fellow teachers,

I am working with a few teachers at my school to organise a harmony day assembly and would love to see what your suggestions are on exciting and innovative ways to celebrate the occasion both in the class and as a whole school approach.

Kindest regards,
    Raz

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Forced, artificial, state-sanctioned festivals, can't abide them.

Pomza likes this.
  4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Harmony Day ? Is that supposed to be about international relations, hair colouring or barber shop quartets ?

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I thought you'd be celebrating today? (Someone's put some things in the kitchen to celebrate, √-1 2^3 ∑ Π and it was very good!)

6. Razinarearz

https://www.harmony.gov.au/

Harmony Day celebrates Australia’s cultural diversity.

It’s about inclusiveness, respect and a sense of belonging for everyone.

At our school we are implementing various activities to celebrate the concept of diversity, respect and belonging. One particular performance which I have organised for our harmony day assessmbly is an act from Koomurri Aboriginal incursions.
    Here is a link for you all to see what they do and maybe book an incursion for your school.
    https://aboriginalincursions.com.au/

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm not sure booking an aboriginal incursion would be the best use for me of scarce school funds, fun though it sounds!

8. Razinarearz

There are plenty of other ways you can partake in creating a whole school approach towards respecting and celebrating diversity. Students can be asked to write poems and make a collage, make a flag on a hand print and stick it on the ground with the words harmony written on it.

There are plenty of cost effective options. The important thing about this special day is that it is acknowledged and students are educated and reminded to respect one another for ‘we are one but we are many’.

9. Vince_Ulam

What on Earth are they supposed to learn from this?

Pomza likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Great...but in the UK, classroom time might be better spent doing something else.

Pomza likes this.
  11. Razinarearz

Values and respect shaping them towards understanding to live in harmony with one another. In the immediate scenario it would teach them to be kind and loving towards their peers regardless of their backgrounds and cultural differences.

12. Razinarearz

https://www.harmony.gov.au/

13. Vince_Ulam

All this from writing poems, making a collage and finger-painting? Magical thinking.

14. Razinarearz

No of course not but this is a great opportunity to create lessons with messages that maybe continued in your teaching philosophy and practice daily. That is all.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Being serious, this is the kind of thing over which I fall out with people.

If you teach values, respect, tolerance, general decency all day every day, then there is no need for special days like this, as such things are part and parcel of everyday life.

If you don't teach values, respect, tolerance, general decency all day every day, then a one off day like this will do nothing at all to teach such things.

Either way, they are generally pointless. Bit like anti-bullying week in the UK. Or road safety week. Or all the other similar pretences to 'teaching' we sometimes do.

squashball and Wotton like this.