1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Harlan Ellison, Rest in Peace

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah now that's a shame.

He was one of the greats. [though I never agreed with his The Terminator credit]

RIP Mr Ellison.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

His comments on remuneration should be heeded by all teachers of a certain age.

racroesus likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I wonder if whoever put that clip on YouTube paid him for it.

racroesus, lanokia and Vince_Ulam like this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I have had many conversations like those described in the film clip.:(

6. Vince_Ulam

The lot particularly of supply teachers and tutors.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Never heard of him, but a great clip. I wonder how you get paid to pee?

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

President Trump might know.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

His name will appear in the writer credits for many mainstream Sci Fi TV shows throughout the sixties and beyond, including Star Trek, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, The Twilight Zone, etc. etc. and he also wrote books and anthologies.

He penned the memorably-titled 'The City On The Edge Of Forever' episode of Star Trek, although he wasn't apparently very happy with the final cut of it and sued the studio some decades later. I'm surprised he didn't demand royalties from the numerous comic shops who've borrowed the title as their business name.

10. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

He also wrote 'I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream' - my motto for staff meetings and God awful CPD. But I couldn't use it - Ellison would sue me. Like he did James Cameron because of 'Demon With a Glass Hand.' (I didn't exactly agree with his Terminator credit either, but they are very similar.)

Not an easy guy, by all accounts, including his own. I imagine when he gets to heaven he'll be suing God because the pearly gates resemble something he once put in a story.

Truly great writer though. One of those who connected the pulp era to the 70s sci-fi explosion. And the guy who introduced me to Cornell Woolrich, the master of noir fiction.

I imagine the Grim Reaper just got served, too.

magic surf bus likes this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

Still talented, industrious, loved & respected.

12. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

And I tend to think that his reputation for being difficult was more down to his belief that people should not take a dump on the writer. Stephen King relates a typical exchange in 'Dance Macabre' where Ellison was pitching a script to Gene Roddenberry for the first Star Trek movie:

"This is a movie, not TV, so it's got to be big. Really, really big."

"OK," Says Ellison, "The crew steal the Starship Enterprise, they cross the whole galaxy with the Federation and the Klingons and the Romulans all trying to stop them, they break though the great barrier at the edge of the universe, and meet God."

"Not big enough!!" Roddenberry spat back at him. Ellison's response was pretty X rated, but I believe included the phrase 'talentless *******', then he stormed out of the meeting,

Personally, I always got more from the prefaces to his collections than the collections themselves. He was one of those very honest writers who put his life into his work and if you ever want to know what being a Sci-Fi writer in the 70s/80s was like, just read the first few pages of any Dangerous Visions.

Goodbye Harlan. Without you, we'll pretty soon end up eating our own babies for breakfast.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And yet that's the plot of Star Trek 5: The search for William Shatner's ego.

1 person likes this.
  14. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

"Excuse me - if you're God - why do you need the Enterprise?'

In other words - not even the Lord God Almighty is getting MY ship!

And then Scottie takes out God with Photon Torpedoes. Yeah, that one's a guilty pleasure.

15. Vince_Ulam

Classic.