1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hardest place to be a midwife

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Anyone watching?
    Puts many, many things into perspective.
    Fascinating. Sad.
    It should make us realise how lucky we all are. Even if we say we are broke and unemployed, life in western countries is better for 99% of us.

2. I could provide some answers to that...

3. what do you mean?
    I know not everyone in the UK is above the poverty line, however, the majority of us would be unlikely to be in conditions as they are in Liberia.
    And certainly, there is no one on here that is in that position!

4. I was just being silly and irrelevant!

5. And yet they keep on getting pregnant, bringing children into the world that they can't afford to keep out of poverty, destroying their own health and strength into the bargain with each repeated pregnancy, and in a situation where they themselves are about as likely to live as die giving birth.
    I meant to watch the programme and forgot it was on, but it's a general gripe about why the people in the world who can least afford to keep on getting pregnant keep on getting pregnant.
    Cheer me up and tell me that at some point during that programme, they sent the women who were still alive away with a contraceptive implant.

6. But surely you realise that most of the woman don't have a choice in becoming pregnant, let alone whether they have sex or not....

No, no contraceptives, barely enough money to eat

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

yes well lot of it is down to african men to wear protection......or the lack of availablity of such means ina country whih cant afford them.
    The whole problem is similar to britains in year gone by when infant mortality was so high families often had large families and oh course controception was poor.
    To me the shame is they where given equipment and they didn tknow how to use it as no one had shown them>

8. There was/is a clip from this programme on the BBC News website that I watched this morning. I found it very upsetting so didn't watch the actual programme.
    It seemed to me that, within the clip, there was a real difference in the place of women in society in the place where it was filmed. I'm not a bra-burning feminist but I felt affronted on their behalf.
    I suppose we take lots of things forgranted in our developed part of the world.

9. I suspect that the complex (for want of a better word) relationship between aid, religion and contraception has a lot to do with this.

10. and male pride in number of offspring, i'm afraid

11. I know that there are religious and cultural pressures on women in the crappest places in the world to be a woman to endure repeated pregnancy. I think it might be a reasonable use of our Aid programmes to empower them with contraception that is independent of their husband's need to prove that he has functioning testes via a uniquely disposable wife.
    Or is that not respecting their culture? It's not as though the women are ever given a voice or a choice. One woman in the prgramme died after trying to abort her pregnancy - I'm quite sure not every new pregnancy is regarded with unmitigated joy by the poor brood mare who is expected to put up and shut up.

12. Agreed. But when I mentioned religion I was thinking more of the "moral" code that sometimes comes into play with aid. Like denying contraception and promoting abstinence outside of marriage.

13. flossy-fluffy

flossy-fluffy New commenter

I watched this programme last night and found it so distressing. It was so, so sad to see that poor young girl Hanna die because she tried a home abortion with the 'death leaf.' And the poor women giving birth to stillborn babies (admittedly this brought to the fore my own experiences of this) beside other women with new babies...well it was awful for them. As the OP says, don't know how lucky we are!

14. We aren't lucky. We are civilised, tolerant, fair and modern. And rich, but you can be all the former without the last. Women in this country were in exactly the same position until relatively recently. We moved on. They are still stuck in the stone age with the added Big Stick of religion and institutionalised misogyny to beat them with.

15. There was a lot that was very sad aout the programme. However I was really impressed with both the British midwife and the chief midwife in Liberia. I thought they were both really caring and open minded women.

I was also struck by the rote learning methods used with the birth attendants. No visual aids there, but very effective I would have thought

16. and yet british women campaign for birth without medical intervention and pain relief - even 'free birthing'
    yasmin alabhai-brown has spoken eloquently about how third world women depise and despair of us for our self-flagellating and potentially dangerous attitude to childbirth

17. We have the safety nets of A&E and litigation.

18. Apart from the fact that dying in childbirth is rarer in the West, there are plenty enough women here in our Big Developed World, who have free medical aid, free contraception even in some countries and yet repeatedly get pregnant although they have no money, let alone a partner, often.
    And that despite the fact that they have had a free education, which many of these women in the Third World haven't and are generally free from religious issues and even despite feminism and women's rights.
    You can't really complain about other countries where none of this is the norm, when we still have enough s.hit on our own doorsteps to deal with in our so-called developed world.

19. The aren't likely to die; and they are seldom forced by anything beyond their own selfishness and stupidity to keep getting pregnant. They'd do it a lot less if it weren't underwritten by benefits.

20. undoubtedly - but also - schools i have worked in still seem to be populated by the offspring of single mums whose boyfriuends seemed to find it vital to prove they could beget before moving on
    male pride again