1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hardest job?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sajjy, Mar 14, 2012.

1. sajjy

sajjy New commenter

Which is the hardest teaching job?
    A class of R, Yr1, Yr2; a class of Yr3 and Yr4 or a class of Yr5 and Yr6? Assuming children of average ability and number between 21 and 29.

2. sajjy

sajjy New commenter

Which is the hardest teaching job?
    A class of R, Yr1, Yr2; a class of Yr3 and Yr4 or a class of Yr5 and Yr6? Assuming children of average ability and number between 21 and 29.

3. toomuchtodo

toomuchtodo New commenter

How about a class of year 4/5/6 - that's my bunch!!!

4. Thats my bunch too! ability ranges from level 2-6! i don't sleep much! [​IMG] lol x

5. toomuchtodo

Yep! Know what you mean!! Luckily this year I only have 20, but going up to 26 next year - eek!!

6. sajjy

sajjy New commenter

My 'bunch' is 29 R,1,2 which I am told is no more difficult than 21 3/4s. I am beginning to doubt my sanity!

7. Firerose

Firerose New commenter

Hey I teach one set of year 4s and I have two P levels, 3 level 1s, three 4s one 5 and the rest 2 and 3 levels. And that's just for Maths!!

8. Surely R/1/2 is more dificult, if only because the jump is massive between a 4 year old and a 7 year old, and because one of those year groups is taught to, and assessed by, a completely different framework to the others!

9. toomuchtodo

I keep thinking about applying for a job in a larger schooland teaching a single year group - but I'm getting a little stuck in my ways!!
    It's not so much the ability gap as the maturity gap - the year 4's just haven't got the same concentration and stamina levels as the year 6's. The younger ones tend to wind the older ones up too!
    Also find it hard not having another teacher to share the responsibility for all 3 year groups with - that's why I find these forums invaluable!!

10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

The hardest job is clearly those poor souls who have a Year 2/3 mix. 2 Key stages to deal with! Moderation of KS1 SATS and make sure the Year 3s are up to speed for the Year 3 SATs? Nightmare!

11. I have Y3/4/5/6 ... that's pretty tough!

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

My friend teaches R,Y1,2,3,4,5 & 6 in the same class

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I've taught R/1/2 and 2/3 and now 5/6 and feel as if I've been through the wringer every time!

R/1/2 was a nightmare ( especially as I was an NQT in a school where no-one else had ever taught in Reception of Key Stage 1!) trying to balance a child initiated Early years curriculum with the demands of SATs in year 2 (at a time when the tests were more important than the teacher assessment!) Every observation I had commented that I was either too formal with the Reception children or not formal enough with the yr 2's and the poor year 1's didn't get a look in!
    2/3 was dire too! ( lardylegs is spot on!)
    Year 5/6 is no picnic either! Apart from the usual stress of teaching year 6 ( I was told in a staff meeting last week that the fate of the school fell on me[​IMG]) ) I always feel as if the year 5's are overlooked as all the emphasis is on ensuring the year 6's make the maximum progress, which means the year 5's get left behind, which means the following year they need to make the maximum progress, which means ..... ( you get the idea!) Oh and the year 5's never seem to arrive in my class at the level they are meant to be at either!
    God knows why I'm still teaching! ( other than because I love it!)