1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hard week...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by parachute89, May 1, 2019.

1. parachute89

parachute89 New commenter

I know we all have those days where things just aren't going quite right, but I've really felt this every day this week and could do with some advice/support.

I am in my 4th year of teaching Reception and started at a new school in January. The children had not been taught much at all when I started, and I soon put a routine in place whereby children had access to a good range of continuous provision and adult led activities to further their learning.

I'm not sure why but this week I have felt as though some of the children are bored. Many of them do not challenge themselves (despite incentive) and will end up choosing to do the same things every day.

I am worried that I have had such pressure on pushing for writing/reading/maths as they were so far behind, that I may be deterring them from wanting to do these kinds of things during their child initiated play. I am changing my provision at least 2-3 times a week but still find some children end up doing the same old things.

I don't know if it's just this week or if I'm being overly sensitive, but I'm really feeling it this week! How do you ensure children are challenging themselves in your setting? I could also just do with some general advice/support/guidance about how you timetable your settings.

Thank you.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's been a hard week in my class as well...it's our first back after Easter and everyone is unsettled and tired. And there are new children to settle in, while teaching the ones who have been in since September.

Maybe, the ones choosing to do the same thing over and over are just finding something familiar after their time at home?

I don't understand why schools have this push on 'children challenging themselves'. Surely everyone wants an easy life and no one ever chooses something more difficult than they need to. Why would children think to themselves 'I know. I dislike playing lego and my friends hate it as well. So today I will choose to do something really tricky with the lego in order to challenge myself.'???

Are they well behaved and engaged, even though they are doing the same activity they have done every day for the last month? If so, they are probably getting something out of it, so leave them to it.

jomaimai likes this.
  3. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Alistair Bryce Clegg has some interesting stuff to say about developing skills through continuous provision. I’m not an ABC evangelist, but some of stuff is very useful.
    As per usual I agree with caterpillarbutterfly Any week back after a break is tough. Think about it as a % of their life, two weeks is a pretty big deal.
    My own personal experience of being a parent, before being a teacher tells me that young children are extremely sensitive to change. We lived in Africa when my children were little, any travel to or from England resulted in my son watching the same videos over and over, Shrek and Bob the Builder Live for at least 2 days. I gave him the time and he soon settled. I think he was about 8 before he stopped appearing in my bedroom the night before a return to school after a break, asking if he could get in with me. Familiarity is security, these children have very little control over their lives. Adding routine to their day will have invariably helped them, but it probably also increases the contrast at home. You’ll soon start noting the environment, and seasonal changes which affect the behaviour of this particular community. Let’s face it we all know the affects of a windy day, has anyone researched why that sends kids crazy?