1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hard to cope as an NQT with a familiy

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mrs penfold, Jan 20, 2011.

1. I am an NQT in a fairly tough school and I am finding it extremely hard to cope and feel very ready to quit. I was a mature student and have four children. Although I am reasonably well supported in my school, I feel that I am constantly getting it wrong. Despite passing my first assessment period as satisfactory, my stress levels are throught the roof and I am crying at the drop of a hat. I am regularly told that the children are very different now fthan they were at the beginning of term and that I must remember they came in a lower than expected levels. This isn't helping! I regularly work until gone midnight to try and meet the needs of my children but when I have got children who are working at a level 1A already and children who can't even write their own name, being told I have to use the whole school planning but maintain a continous provision I am really confused and don't know which way to turn. I am tying my self in knots trying to please everyone at once and I am absolutley terrified of failing. I have been activitly looking a new job and can't find anything that I feel confident in applying for, and I have also considered giving teaching up altogether. I just don't know what to do!! I certainly don't feel that it is worth all of this stress!!!

Mrs Penfold.

2. I am an NQT in a fairly tough school and I am finding it extremely hard to cope and feel very ready to quit. I was a mature student and have four children. Although I am reasonably well supported in my school, I feel that I am constantly getting it wrong. Despite passing my first assessment period as satisfactory, my stress levels are throught the roof and I am crying at the drop of a hat. I am regularly told that the children are very different now fthan they were at the beginning of term and that I must remember they came in a lower than expected levels. This isn't helping! I regularly work until gone midnight to try and meet the needs of my children but when I have got children who are working at a level 1A already and children who can't even write their own name, being told I have to use the whole school planning but maintain a continous provision I am really confused and don't know which way to turn. I am tying my self in knots trying to please everyone at once and I am absolutley terrified of failing. I have been activitly looking a new job and can't find anything that I feel confident in applying for, and I have also considered giving teaching up altogether. I just don't know what to do!! I certainly don't feel that it is worth all of this stress!!!

Mrs Penfold.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I only have one child and I struggle, so goodness knows how I would feel with 4.

I can empathise with a lot of what you are saying. I feel like im a terrible teacher at the moment and that I should throw in the towel. Some days are worse than others but it is not getting easier. Behaviour Management is my focus as there are some children who do not respond to any of the methods I have in place and despite taking on advice and suggestions... I really am at a loss on how to turn things around.

My mentor is really supportive but i've just found out that she has been spoken to by slt about her mentoring because I am not meeting expectations. I am not allowed to know the content of the meeting because it is confidential - though I was given a satisfactory for first term just a few weeks ago so do not know why this is happening. It looks like she may no longer be my mentor and that slt will take over which I really do not want. Quite honestly, id quit tomorrow if it was not for my class and my family. What is the point in giving every ounce of myself if I am ultimately not good enough?

Sorry, I have probably just made you feel worse about your situation but just wanted to let you know you are not alone in your struggles!