1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Placement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by LDuk, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I am currently on placement in a school but it seems like they don't really want me there. I have tried to get involved with the staff and they are nice to me. But then they are telling my tutor that I have bad relationships with the staff. I have tried talking to one person that I apparently have upset but she walks off every time I try and speak to her or is just really short with me.

I have been told that I need to make better interpersonal relationships within the school but not sure how to do this if they are being nice to me while I am there and then saying something else when I am not. I was told my teaching and everything else is fantastic but I need to sort this out. If no one can tell me what I am doing wrong then how can I fix it??

Help?

2. I am currently on placement in a school but it seems like they don't really want me there. I have tried to get involved with the staff and they are nice to me. But then they are telling my tutor that I have bad relationships with the staff. I have tried talking to one person that I apparently have upset but she walks off every time I try and speak to her or is just really short with me.

I have been told that I need to make better interpersonal relationships within the school but not sure how to do this if they are being nice to me while I am there and then saying something else when I am not. I was told my teaching and everything else is fantastic but I need to sort this out. If no one can tell me what I am doing wrong then how can I fix it??

Help?

3. Didn't they give anymore reason or explanation than just you 'upset' the staff? Must be more to the situation than what you have written.

4. Sit down with your mentor and really get to the bottom of this. If it gets you nowhere, ask your tutor to intervene. You are entitled know what isn't going well and how you can remedy it. If you aren't told the specifics, there is little you can do.
    A lot of problems on placement is due to misunderstanding and miscommunication, so someone from the outside like your uni tutor can help to smoothe over difficulties.

5. I agree with Alec, you cannot remedy a situation that you are in the dark about. You need to find out what the problemn is and tackle that problem. Contact your tutor and ask for their help in mediating.
    James

6. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

I really feel for you- the kinds of comments staff have been making sound exactly like the excuses which were made when an early years placement I was on recently was terminated. I'd already had doubts about whether the place in question really wanted a student, so contacted my tutor before they did. Unfortunately, in response to my tutor then contacting them, staff there came out with excuses about problems with communication and interpersonal relationships. Instead of supporting me, my tutor then advised me to leave the course! I hope your tutor is a lot more supportive than mine was.