1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Left loses. London wins. Expensive black cabs kicked into touch by Uber.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by frodo_magic, Sep 28, 2020.

1. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

This would be the company that does not pay VAT or national insurance contributions? I wonder how they can operate so cheaply?

ajrowing likes this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If passengers have to pay VAT on their rides in the future, it will make public transport esp for the young, more expensive

Kandahar likes this.
  4. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Who has ever met a left-wing Lonfon Black Cab driver?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Kandahar likes this.
  6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

chelsea2, LiamD, nervousned and 4 others like this.
  7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Has been decades since I flagged a black cab.

How much more expensive are they than UBER and can they not take them on by reducing fare prices?

8. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

I never travel by any other means than a black cab in London, because I can always claim the fare back on expenses. They are very expensive, but so far as I am concerned worth every penny of my employers' money.

dumpty likes this.
  9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

VAT already applies to taxi fares - Uber seems to think that it does not have workers so minimum wage, holiday pay, national insurance don't apply to them. Hence they can afford to be cheaper than a black cab. The case currently before the supreme court will determine if they are right.

ajrowing likes this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Today's court decision is only at Magistrate's Court level. I'll be surprised if TfL don't take it further.

11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Uber's strength is in its network. I'd think what it did was build up some network with app etc, attract self-employed drivers onto their system and then worry about a operator's licence.

What you need to do when paying for travel is make sure the vehicle is licenced to carry passengers and that the driver is likewise licenced to take fair-paying passengers. Each licence will have registered number and those numbers must be on display.

The driver in the form of a badge and the vehicle in the form of a plate.

Drivers share vehicles so they don't lie idle.

Uber vehicles are just private hire. It's not like they can use the ranks.

Private hire vehicles must be pre-booked. The mobile phone has been the game changer.

12. LondonCanary

13. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

You Southerners! We still don't have Uber (not that I've been out gallivanting for a year, so I'd not have noticed). I wouldn't say our taxi drivers are particularly left or right, unless they've changed since I last used a cab...

dumpty likes this.
  14. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Established commenter

Why can't the Black Cab Union make an app like the one Uber has? They've known about this for a few years.

It's not the price, it's the convenience and safety Uber brings.

15. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

What safety? Are all their drivers checked? i thought that was one of the issues, that they are not always safe.

chelsea2 and ajrowing like this.
  16. LondonCanary

The issue was they were not always checked.

17. Rott Weiler

I think the safety argument is the same as the one applied to all private hire, they come to you pre-booked, you don't have to stand out on the roadside hoping an empty black cab comes by

18. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

But I wouldn't describe them as safe, my wife had to deal with a none uber private hire who tried to rob her.

19. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Established commenter

Your journey is tracked by satalite and saved on the internet.

Any serial killer or rapist is going to have a hard time evading that setup.

20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

because the systems in place allowed drivers to use fake identification and also upload their photo to a different drivers account.