1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Harassment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Dec 16, 2015.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

My friend is being harassed by a former husband on social media and through the post. Police have already had words to no avail. I said to just ignore it so it doesn't feed the attention seeking. Any one else got any successful strategies?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't facebook and twitter have the 'block' option? I know facebook does, I've used it for an ex-pupil who sent me a message...

Not sure about Google+ [remember that?] and Instagram... or other forms of social media.

emerald52 likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Can she delete the social media accounts?

Don't know about the post, other than to not respond to it, but keep it as evidence.

emerald52 likes this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Just switch whichever device being used OFF.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Facebook does a privacy setting so she can block the ex. Not sure about the others. As for the police, I would speak to someone more senior - I think stalking via social media is a criminal offense (or is in the process of); perhaps also check with Citizens Advice on that?

emerald52 likes this.
  6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Information here.

sabrinakat and emerald52 like this.
  7. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

All social media has a block option. On Twitter you can block and mute the account. On Instagram you can also block. Same for Google+. If she searches 'how do I block on.....' Google will bring up a short explanation of how to do it. It may help with the social media side of things.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Thanks all. Really helpful and supportive. I think the ex has mental health issues so it is hard to know what is best to do.