1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Happy Tau Day

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by coyote, Jun 28, 2011.

1. coyote

coyote New commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13906169

It makes sense! Now lets rewrite all those textbooks yet again...

2. So, we change the definition be cause it makes the use of radians easier? Ok, that's infe, but for kids in school (a much larger slice of the population pie), you would have:
    C=Tau*D/2 or C=Tau x r. I can see the sense of C=Tau x r.
    Area = (Tau x r^2)/2 This is obviously far more unwieldy and fraught with difficulty.

And, as mentioned by coyote, it would mean junking huge numbers of textbooks (for those still old fashioned enough to use them, that is).

Anyway, it's not Tau Day in England, only in Septic land.

cyolba, thinking there are far more important issues on Maths teaching than the Pi Tau dilemma :)

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

come on cyolba, tau the line!

4. It's an issue in Mathematics, not Mathematics teaching. The beauty of Mathematics is in its elegance, and I for one think this is worth thinking about.

5. The problem with issues in mathematics is that they sometimes become issues in mathematics teaching - I'm not holding my breath on this one though.
    I did like this, in case anyone is interested, http://tauday.com/ particularly the bit on the Euler identity and quadratics.

6. but then, whilst you can write Pi as Π or especially as π, and everyone knows what you mean, you'd always have to write Tau as Tau because Τ or τ are just - well - T, and so would cause confusion
    nitpicking? did i start it?

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I am finding it difficult to give a tauss.

8. [​IMG]

Not to mention "and then you hit the tau key" is not half as memorable as "and then you hit the pi key"!

9. But the song goes:
    "Circumference is pi times diameter, pi times diameter, pi times diameter,
    Circumference is pi times diameter,
    Area is pi r squared."
    There's a dance and everything.
    It just wouldn't work with Tau.

10. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I want a special symbol that means the same as 2*pi.
    I know - I'll choose a symbol that looks like someone has cut a pi symbol in half ...

11. I had only just finished telling my year 12s about tau day when a great roar and loads of applause came from the playing fields outside. Quick as a flash, one of my students said, "It's year 7 celebrating tau day!"

ps Does any body celebrate e day? I really enjoy fri day! ( or at least 3:30 on fri day)