1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Happy Shoesday! Your opinions please on a new walking celebration for schools.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by happyshoesday, Nov 12, 2015.

1. happyshoesday

happyshoesday New commenter

'Happy Shoesday!' is a new celebration of walking for schools when children (and staff) wear their 'happy' shoes to school. It will take place on the Tuesday of Walk to School Week in May and it can be used by schools to celebrate their walking initiatives and achievements or to start a new focus on walking. Schools that sign up will receive a fundraising pack with stickers, fun ideas and activities and classroom resources. The day is also designed as a fundraising activity for Living Streets, the national charity behind the Walk to School and Walk once a Week campaigns. Living Streets works with schools and communities across the UK and campaigns at a local and national level for investment in making streets safe for walking for everyone. See here for more info: www.livingstreets.org.uk
    Do you think this is something that would appeal to your school? Do you think schools and parents will be happy to fundraise for this cause? If schools could choose between 1) donate a £1 with all proceeds going to Living Streets or 2) sponsorship forms with proceeds being split between the school and Living Streets; which would you choose?
    Please do post your comments on this new initiative as I would love to hear what other teachers and school staff think of it...

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Am I right in thinking that it's basically a non-uniform day for shoes? I think a £1 donation is most suitable. Sponsorship tends to be for challenging yourself in some way - for example, a 10 mile sponsored walk with people sponsoring you 50p per mile.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

What about the Health and Safety implications of pupils wearing unsuitable shoes for school? Also, school shoes are sensible for walking to school - but many of their 'happy shoes' are unlikely to be.

Parents are regularly asked for £1 'fines' for non-uniform days or donations for cakes sales etc. Sometimes these are for a school-based fundraising project or for national events such as tomorrow's Children in Need, Comic Relief or disaster appeals. Not all families can afford to keep donating. £1 on its own is not a lot, but when all of the fundraising events throughout the year are added up it comes to a surprising amount.

I'm sorry I haven't given a positive response to your initiative, but these were my first thoughts on reading your post.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sorry to wade in on the negativity but speaking from a personal point of view: my daughter's choice of 'Happy Shoes' would be the dreadful high-heeled things her grandmother misguidedly bought her that we don't allow her to wear outside of the house (she's in YR).

The name would lead to misconceptions with many children. Trainers would be fine but also it sends the wrong message about uniform. Shoes that comply with uniform policies are generally perfectly good for walking in.

5. happyshoesday

Thanks for your replies. The idea is that children wear their brightly coloured shoes or trainers or schools can use the resources provided as an activity to make 'shoe covers' for school shoes that children then decorate brightly. So no need for concern about health and safety! What a shame that such young children might already have 'happy shoes' that aren't good for walking..

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have a "shoe day" every year to fit in with Walk to School. One year it was "Bling up your Wellies" and "Trim up your trainers" the next! Parents do have to ensure that either the wellies/trainers are suitable to wear all day at school or they provide school shoes to change into. We have a whole school toddle round the playground, collective worship shoe parade and then photos and competition winners! Most children are back into their school shoes by break!

7. happyshoesday

Great to hear schools are already using the idea! Do you think asking parents to send in £1 to fundraise for the Walk To School Week campaign/Living Streets would be something your school would consider?