1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Happy/rewarding moments of your training year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by smartblonde, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Things feel a little negative on here at times, so let's talk about something a bit more light-hearted.

What parts of your training year have you <u>enjoyed</u>? Which moments made you thankful that you chose this career?

I'll start.....when students greet me in the corridor and are disappointed when I tell them they don't have English that day...

2. Things feel a little negative on here at times, so let's talk about something a bit more light-hearted.

What parts of your training year have you <u>enjoyed</u>? Which moments made you thankful that you chose this career?

I'll start.....when students greet me in the corridor and are disappointed when I tell them they don't have English that day...

3. When I got my job at my placement school all the girls who do Duke of Edinburgh asked why the other teachers were hugging me, I told them I had a job at the school and would be staying and they all cheered.
    When I told my form they all cheered and the ones who aren't taking ICT next year said they wanted to take it now after all.
    Those two moments made the whole year worthwhile! (Well those and actually getting the job...)

4. I'm not doing a PGCE, but in my first year of a BA primary, but still have had enjoyable moments in this year!

Most touching 2 for me were on my last day of placement 2 of my "difficult" children spent their own free time drawing me pictures and made a real effort to write a thank you note (one really struggled with writing/spelling) so I will treasure those 2 pictures/thank you notes for the rest of my career.
    Most enjoyable moment was my first lesson, the class teacher very rarely read to the class so I made an effort to try to build a story into my literacy plans. I read them one of Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes and they were all completely engaged and begged for another one, then got upset when I said I didn't have time to do one that day - they spent the rest of the week nagging me!That really made me smile :)

5. I've had some really fantastic bits as well as some really rough ones this year, but the ones that stand out are:

Year 11 pupil who told me she hated the sound of teacher's voices but it was nothing personal because she quite liked me! (in my rather challenging placement where I was utterly convinced that all the kids hated me!)
    Year 12 pupil telling me they'd really enjoyed a lesson I'd just taught, and the same pupil being utterly charming to my uni mentor and telling her how much he enjoyed my lessons!

6. I think one of my favourite moments of my 4 year training was on my final placement. We had been learning about time connectives before half term and on the first Monday morning back, one little boy came running up to me. He could barely contain himself when he told me "Miss! You know the shop Next? That's a time connective!"
    He was just so proud of himself and that's when I realised how much of an impact we have on children's lives- He had gone away over half term and had remembered what I had taught him. It was very sweet and really made me smile.
    On a more academic level, every time I collected a piece of work to find I had been awarded a first, I was proud of myself. A lot of people didn't believe I could do it at all so I love that I've done as well as I have!
    Then there's all the little things- when a tutor tells me they are really pleased with my organisation, or that they liked my stance on an assignment. It makes me feel valued.
    I've really loved my course. I've been on it for 4 and a bit years (a long story!) so, as excited as I am to start my career, I am heartbroken to be finishing now.

7. The first time a pupil came up to me and said 'My mate said this is supposed to be a really good lesson'
    Every time a pupil makes me genuinely laugh
    Marking a peice of work that completely blows you away (even better if there was no marking involved...)