1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Happy Pancake Day!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 05dan10, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Happy Pancake Day TES!
    I'm not usually home from work before 6.00pm, but today I decided that I had to leave early for pancake day!
    Happy Pancake Day everyone, enjoy your pancakes! [​IMG]

2. Happy Pancake Day TES!
    I'm not usually home from work before 6.00pm, but today I decided that I had to leave early for pancake day!
    Happy Pancake Day everyone, enjoy your pancakes! [​IMG]

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just off to mix mine and leave them for a bit, at least that's the plan - depends how hungry I am once i get started.

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I've got a whole bag of lemons and there is only me, so if anyone has forgotten theirs I have some spare x

5. I bought a pack of ready-made pancakes from Tesco's!
    That way I just microwave them and they are done!
    I never could cook! [​IMG]

6. You should make pancakes as a starter to learning to cook. They're easy, even I can do it and I don't cook often!

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

You'll miss the joy of the first two soggy ones, then one good one, which I always let OH have, then the rest a bit burnt!!

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Just out of interest do you cook with electric?
    We cook on an electric hob only because we can't have gas pipes fitted in the kitchen and there's nowhere to store a gas canister. I find gas so much easier to cook on: instant control of temperature. Some electric hob seem to take ages to adjust to the controls.

9. Lindenlea, it is nice to know that someone else uses the traditional method. I make my Welsh cakes in much the same way.

10. Electric.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Though I say it that shouldn't I think they were the best pancakes I've ever produced. Leaving the batter to stand definitely helped. Not sure what four fat pancakes will do for the avoirdupois however!

12. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I was disappointed in mine this year, they were thin and small. In fact I would go as far as to say they were crepe x

13. Predictable but funny anyway [​IMG].
    I felt like I was running a b****y pancake factory this evening. Had 9 in the house for pancakes (including 4 huge teenagers with huge appitites) and was actually cooking the darned things for a whole hour!
    The result was a sort of Leaning Tower of Pisa thing.
    Yum!

14. I've made 100's today at school (a bit of an exageration 50 maybe) and smell like a greasy pan now. Had to have a good soak in smelly bath to revive me.
    Now I've read this thread I want to make more or even apple fritters, my fav or now I want to make welsh cake as well.
    Anyone got a good recipe for welsh cakes? Can't be bothered to tundle over to "cookery". I'm off to bed instead .

15. I will try to find mine for you; if I forget give me a nudge. THe best ones I make I do in an electric frying pan, I think the heat is distributed much better. Otherwise I do soggy burnt ones. Still nice though!

16. The ready-made ones were quite nice actually! Saved cooking!

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I notice Prince William and his bride-to-be were shown tossing pancakes in Belfast, whereas his Uncle Andrew shunned all such nonsense, presumably to avoid the inevitable '***' headlines in the tabloids.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

*** = ***********

19. Eh, egg in flour, pinch salt, milk, butter.
    Done!
    Hot pan on Aga: eat! With lemon and sugar.
    What fuss?

20. I made these with my class last week
    200g self raising flour
    100g marg
    85g sugar
    Handful raisins.
    Egg.
    (Optional mixed spice - we omitted it as lots of children don't like it)
    Rub flour and marg together. Add sugar, fruit and egg. Can add a splash of milk if needed, but none of my class needed to.
    Roll to 1/2 cm thick and cut out,
    Fry in a pan gently til brown.
    Yum.....