1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Happy International Men's Day!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

IMD BACKGROUND

Calls for an International Men's Day have been going on since at least the 1960's when it was reported that "Many men have been agitating privately to make February 23 International Men's Day, the equivalent of March 8, which is International Women's day" (New York Times, Feb 24 1969). Since this time there have been persistent international calls for the creation of an IMD, calls in the form of rhetorical questions about gender equality, eg. "Why do women have an international celebration and not men?" and more commonly in the form of statements like "Men's contributions and concerns deserve a day of recognition in their own right" i.e. not merely by analogy with International Women's Day. Proposed objectives of an International Men's Day include a focus on men's and boy's health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models. It is also suggested as an occasion whereby men may highlight discrimination against them and celebrate their positive achievements and contributions to communities, places of work, friendships, families, marriages, and child care.

(InternationalMensDay.com, 19th October 2015.)

It's all good. Who could possibly disagree with any of this?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Positive male role models?

Hmm... thinking... Chris Hadfield!

Patrick Hardison...

The late great Jonah Lomu..

RedQuilt and Vince_Ulam like this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Happy IMD, to those on TES of the male persuasion. :)

lanokia and Vince_Ulam like this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

[​IMG]

As a day of observance IMD places its focus on that which unites humanity – giving everyone who wants to celebrate International Men’s Day the opportunity to help work towards IMD’s shared objectives which are applied equally to men and boys irrespective of their age, ability, social background, ethnicity, sexuality, gender identity, religious belief and relationship status.

Those objectives are:

• To promote male role models
    • To celebrate the contribution that men make
    • To focus on men’s health and wellbeing
    • To highlight discrimination against men the inequalities that men and boys face
    • To improve gender relations and promote gender equality
    • To create a safer world for everyone

(UKMensDay.org.uk, 19th November 2015.)

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I remember when I was persuaded to be male...

hang on that sounds ... hmmmm

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

8. Vince_Ulam

9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

As a feminist, I have always been keen to promote the idea of equality. That is what feminism means to me.

While many women aspire to having greater access to traditionally 'male' roles, I see the the need for more acceptance of males who choose a traditionally 'female' role, and should be supported.(Along with many other issues)
    Belated Happy Men's Day!

lanokia likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

11. Vince_Ulam

I dislike the media's constant promotion of an unproven negative correlation in men between emotional expression and clinical depression. Why should men be expected to emote as women? It's not mentors boys need to be well-adjusted; it's fathers. They don't need counsellors; they need visible & realistic prospects.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

While I see what your saying and do agree with you but I think there also needs to be a recognition among men that emotions do signify things.

I realised I had a problem at work when I was frozen at the top of a stairwell, white and shaking in ... well, fear... before then I'd accepted all the emotions as just 'stress of the job'... now I see they were warning signs.

So no, not emote as women, but recognise a warning sign for what it is.

13. Vince_Ulam

Strong, sudden emotions are signs, yes, and can be alarming when they appear suddenly out of the mist. I find it best, like many of us, not to fixate upon any sign but instead try to discover what it represents and do something about it.

14. xmal

xmal Established commenter

University of York SU banned any activities related to Men's day.