1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Happy Easter

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dipsue, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Happy Easter everyone.
    Done the egg hunt and now chillin with a very happy two year old who thinks Easter Bunny is the best.
    Hope you all have a lovely day however you spend it.

2. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

Happy Easter Dipsue! xxx

3. Happy Easter to all. Have a good day.

4. Happy Easter too! x

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Easter blessings to all!
    He Is Risen!

6. He is risen indeed! Alleluia!

7. flossy-fluffy

flossy-fluffy New commenter

A very Happy Easter to all too

8. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Happy Easter all you friendly people..... [​IMG]

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Amen!

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

And another Amen.

11. there were very few people saying 'amen' in church today. Three babies and a little girl age 3 or 4 being baptised today, church was packed with very few 'regulars'. Quite a shame, hymns not being sung as they would normally, people sitting when they should have been standing, talking when the should have been listening to the readings etc, so rude.

A woman sat beside me stank of booze and cigarettes, her daughter sat playing with her mobile phone throughout. The woman the proceeded to talk to me during the baptisms complaining that the priest had ruined the little girl's hair when pouring the water over her head and that the little girl's mum (this woman's friend) would not be happy as she'd spend ages straightening it..i didn't say anything, through gritted just smiled, wish I had said something though didn't want to cause a scene/

I'll remember from now on to attend the early morning service rather than 12 o'clock one.

12. paragraphs haven't turned out, and it seems that I can't write properly today!

13. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Ah well, just be thankful they were IN church!

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Praise God!
    I love the church packed with people who don't usually attend. Aren't they the ones who need to hear the message of His Love most?
    And surely Christ himself was known to hang about more with the 'irregular' sort of people?

(I'm sorry that you felt uncomfortable with the more relaxed service. I'm sure the newcomers were not intentionally rude. )

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I like more informal services too. We had a 'cafe-styl'e church service this morning, sitting round tables & coffee & cakes served at the end. But good traditional Easter hymns for the traditionalists amongst us.

16. I'm not saying that I don't welcome new people into church, just those whose only appearance is for a christening/ communion etc.. and who don't respect the normal way things go in church.. e.g. swearing, texting, wearing really inappropriate clothes etc.

The priest also appeared a bit shocked/annoyed at times throughout the service (he is fairly young and I enjoy his service as it is a bit more lighthearted than the older of the priests, so for him to appear annoyed too was out of the norm).

From speaking to my neighbours this afternoon they attended the early service as did most of the usual folk who attend regularly because they knew about the christenings, I had been taking the children's sunday school class last week and so didn't hear about it being mentioned.

17. Whilst I understand a sense of frustration at your normal experience being "hijacked", I think it would be a shame for visitors who don't respect - probably don't know- the etiquette to be made to feel alienated and ostracized by a congregation voting with its feet. I remember the embarrassment of a young methodist me having no idea when to stand up & sit down when attending my friend's Cof E service - she was singing in the choir, so no help!
    We can't expect everyone to know, let alone abide by, our unspoken and unwritten rules.

18. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm not a Christian, but..................... I wish a Happy Easter to all who are and a Happy Long Spring Weekend to all who aren't.
    (Fwiw, despite my personal beliefs, my children (raised in the Christian tradition [as are the majority in this country]) have been encouraged to spend the weekend reflecting on the good things in their life and making decisions to change what they can of the bad)
    Enjoy an extra day till school goes back.
    [​IMG]

19. I appreciate that people will not know when to sit/stand etc but you think courtesy to not mess about on a mobile phone or swear would be common sense?.. maybe I'm just being picky I don't know. When going somewhere new/unknown whether that be to a persons house, new country etc I try to be polite and respectful, I just assumed that other people would do so too.