1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hanoi?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MissLHE, Dec 13, 2018.

1. MissLHE

MissLHE New commenter

Anyone have any insights / experience of what to expect of an international school in Hanoi? Have visited Vietnam before and really liked Hanoi in particular. I'm looking at a non-teaching post in particular (a pastoral role, although I am a qualified teacher and the post mentions that this is an advantage as they'd like someone who could also possibly teach PSE).

Sorry to bring 'that ol' chesnut' up again, but what should you be expecting from salaries etc too?

2. MissLHE

MissLHE New commenter

Oops, really should learn to proof-read, I meant 'chestnut'...!

3. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

As always it depends which one. The little one on Kim Ma is a bit of a sh1t show run by a cheerful drunk for a local company. Having said that I spent two very pleasant years there with no one bothering me. The one further out of town with no connections to the UN whatsoever is a decent place, although a bit American in style. The two or three smaller ones that have sprung up in recent years are struggling for numbers as the expat population in Ha Noi is not really big enough to support so many schools. What is happening is that they are becoming language schools rather than international schools.

Whatever you decide Ha Noi is an interesting place and very different to the rather homogenous Asian cities like; HK, Singapore, Guangzhou etc.

As for packages I can not really say as I left some years ago, but the first two I mentioned pay a decent rate and the cost of living is pretty low. And of course Vietnam is a great place for travel and a good hub for visiting other countries, although Vietnam airlines and Ha Noi airport are pretty dreadful.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The new airport is great....the old one was terrible. Its now the domestic terminal