1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hangover hell!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perriwinkle, Feb 22, 2011.

1. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

I will start with apologising for this totally self-indulgent post..........but WHY do I get such hellish hangovers these days?

Went out for Sunday lunch to some friends; admittedly I had quite an amount of wine to drink (approx 1-1.5 bottles) but it was over the course of 10 hrs. Husband drank numerous beers and LOTS of spirits with friend's husband.

So why is it that I was the one up from 4 am on Monday morning being sick and running to the loo? Why did I have to feel like death warmed up all day yesterday, still felt fragile most of today and ache all over; only started to feel normal again in the last couple of hours.........

Yes, I know it was self-inflicted, but my point is that even moderate amounts of alcohol seem to really affect me these days. And I now owe hubby big favours as he had to cancel his Monday plans to look after junior whilst I slept it off - the shame!!

Spent most of Sunday afternoon planning my next birthday. Think I'll be changing big bash ideas for afternoon tea.....don't fancy the aftershoock. BOO HOO!!!!!

2. perriwinkle

I will start with apologising for this totally self-indulgent post..........but WHY do I get such hellish hangovers these days?

Went out for Sunday lunch to some friends; admittedly I had quite an amount of wine to drink (approx 1-1.5 bottles) but it was over the course of 10 hrs. Husband drank numerous beers and LOTS of spirits with friend's husband.

So why is it that I was the one up from 4 am on Monday morning being sick and running to the loo? Why did I have to feel like death warmed up all day yesterday, still felt fragile most of today and ache all over; only started to feel normal again in the last couple of hours.........

Yes, I know it was self-inflicted, but my point is that even moderate amounts of alcohol seem to really affect me these days. And I now owe hubby big favours as he had to cancel his Monday plans to look after junior whilst I slept it off - the shame!!

Spent most of Sunday afternoon planning my next birthday. Think I'll be changing big bash ideas for afternoon tea.....don't fancy the aftershoock. BOO HOO!!!!!

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

lack of water and food.

4. perriwinkle

I know, but my body didn't seem keen on either....

5. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

I think that it's partly to do with age (I'm afraid) but sometimes it's in the way that your body processes the different chemicals and sugars in the drink. I could drink 1.5 bottles of white wine easy but that amount of red would totally slay me... on the same note I don't do well with beer but spirits are generally okay.
    Have you changed your preferred tipple since the good old hangover-free days?

6. Wine is a killer. I get exactly the same hangover symptoms you describe whenever I drink it. Can't recall having drunk it for years for that reason! I am OK with champagne and Asti Spumante though.

7. I am exactly the same. Over the past few years I noticed that even a large glass of wine or a pint of beer is enough for me to feel the affects. I can't drink anything like as much as I could without feeling unwell. When I was younger I didn't feel hung over at all. Now I have to be so careful what I drink. My hubby never seems to be affected. Are we getting old perriwinkle?

8. I have always been a lightweight but certainly as the years go by it takes ever less to get me plastered - I feel actually drunk on 175ml red wine - and ever longer to get over it.
    One and a half bottles of wine? I would be in A&E.

9. I can barely drink anything nowadays. I ruined a weekend away drinking the best part of a bottle of champers last year - ill all night, not sick but it might have been better to get it over and done with. I drink so little nowadays that I am not even sure if I still like it. Bloody tragedy.

10. I used to absolutely love "a drink". Hardly touch it now and without wishing to sound preachy I feel so much better. It was destroying my remaining brain cells.

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It's an age thing. I can certainly drink a fair bit, but it takes me soooo long now to recover (hence my 'Royal Wedding Party' as it gives me 3 days to recover!)
    I sure know if I've drunk a couple of bottles of red, rather than white, and drinking beer or G&T leaves me feeling better in the morning for sure. Lots of water helps before you go to bed, if you can remember!
    The worst bit for me is waking up, feeling fine and thinking I've got away with it. Truth is I'm still pissed and the hangover sets in by lunchtime, leaving me feeling worse as the day goes on [​IMG]
    I can still remember my heady student days when I would get completely wasted, fall into bed(ish) around 4am, still make a 9am lecture then do the same thing in the evening!

12. If this is an age thing ... how old are you people

And

at 48 ... how long have I got left

13. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Don't drink you half-wit

14. BelleDuJour

There is that option Shifter.....but a tad boring eh?

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

'Don't drink you half-wit'.
    Something that I really should have borne in mind before going out last Saturday... [​IMG]

16. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Getting rat-ars ed in not compulsory - self inflicted in my view
    BTW an aspirin butty works

17. I seem to be getting better as I get older! It is not uncommon for my OH and I to get through 3 (occasionally 4 :S) bottles between us on a Friday night, and I very rarely have a hangover. Mind you we do eat our own body weight in mexican food and doritos at the same time.

18. After I had my second child (early twenties) I suddenly developed an intolerance to any form of alcohol. Even a glass of fizzy stuff with Christmas dinner was enough to give me a truly awful hangover.
    For 20 years, I was very popular - <u>always</u> the designated driver as I only ever had coffee or soft drinks.
    Then, a while back, I was SO stressed (going through divorce) that one of my TES friends suggested that I had a drink to calm me down. Result = no hangover. Imagine my unbridled joy after years of fearful abstinence. The only hangovers I get now are well deserved e.g. spending all New Year's Day in the big Munich Bierkeller - the after effects will never be forgotten:-((
    I reckon that, in my case, acute sensitivity to alcohol had something to do with hormones or some other physical cause.
    [​IMG]

19. BelleDuJour

With a side order of lucozade [​IMG]

20. perriwinkle

Thanks, Shifter!
    Will bear all advice in mind......if ever there is a next time. Still at the 'Never again!' stage.

Yes, it was totally self inflicted, but 2.5 bottles between 2 of us, over the course of 10 hrs, with food? I guess I just got carried away :S

I've always enjoyed having a drink when out with friends, but now never drink 'regularly'. I can go from one end of the month to the other without having or wanting one. I guess the trouble these days is that I'm a lightweight who thinks she can still party like a rock star!!

Plus, as somebody else mentioned, I reckon hormones are a factor. Oh well, I've survived and learnt a valuable lesson.