1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hanging on until July

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Apple76, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Apple76

Apple76 New commenter

I’m leaving teaching after 23 years. Won’t bother explaining all the reasons - you all will know !

But I thought I’d share how I’m going to make it through the rest of this year. It’s a focus on the positive thinking.

I’m counting from half term.

It’s just 18 weeks of work (17 actually if u take out ‘activity week’)
    It’s 6 weeks u TIL Easter hols
    Then it’s only 5 weeks till half term. And there’s a bank holiday in there too and an Easter Monday no almost 4 1/2 weeks
    Then it’s 7 weeks till the end
    I’ve divided my pay (all the way to the end of August) by how many actual teaching weeks there are. I’m earning quite a good amount per week!
    Then I divided that by lessons per week. I’m getting paid quite a good amount per lesson
    I do all my work at school - I never bring work home. I make it work because I have to do my own well being and mental health.

And ...
    the clocks go forward this term
    The sun is coming out
    The days get longer
    Year 13 leave
    Year 12 have study leave
    I don’t have to worry about performance management because I won’t be there to care anymore
    I don’t have to worry about next years initiatives

Positive thinking will get me through this x

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Sounds like a plan!

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

How nice to read the positives in this post. And how sad that yet another person is leaving the profession.
    At some stage, it will become a national scandal, but at the moment, it's just a series of personal sorrows.

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Good luck! I have to say one of the good things about teaching in general is that you are never more than 7 weeks away from a week off, and that there are always things changing to look forward to. <y husband works in an office and for him, it's the same old drudgery week in week out.
    Can I ask what you're going to do?

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

All the best for leaving Apple76 - enjoy your sabbatical when you do leave. Enjoy every second of it as you DESERVE IT. For 23 years teaching, you are a hero.

hfromh, jlishman2158, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  6. girlfriday14

girlfriday14 New commenter

Feeling the same! Notice not handed in YET but resignation letter written. Also going to try and hang on till July. Feel done with this soul destroying profession.
    Feel a mixture of sadness and excitement and nerves. I actually love the moments when my classroom door is closed and I am left to get on with the part of my job I enjoy and it saddens me that all the other ‘stuff’ has extinguished my enthusiasm. Excitement because who knows what the future hold when you are not sitting in a classroom until the caretaker is kicking you out or you are stuck to a laptop all weekend? Nerves because I have never really done anything else!

I would ask the same question as Purdster - What do you do after teaching?

7. Apple76

Apple76 New commenter

I’m hopefully going back to uni to retrain for a new career. Doing an msc in occupational therapy. Funding it through student loans and a bit of savings. Can’t wait x

8. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Established commenter

Yet another teacher leaving for the same, same reasons.

While I'm happy for the OP on a personal level, it's disappointing to hear that the common wrongs cannot be corrected to keep good people in the profession....

Good luck with your future plans @Apple76 and all the best.

hfromh, jlishman2158, Shedman and 4 others like this.
  9. spinning_wheel

spinning_wheel New commenter

Thank you for sharing your positivity. I am also counting down the weeks until my contract ends.

Well done for surviving 23 years. I salute you!

Positivity is the only way, dig deep, take it day by day knowing that you’re leaving and time will soon pass.

10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@Apple76 Good luck with the rest of the academic year and with your training for your new profession. I am sure the many skills you have learnt in teaching that will prepare you for your new career path and having everything worked out is making the transition easier for you.

Onwards and upwards Mate!:)

11. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hi Apple76,

What a lovely positive post! Twenty-three years in this profession makes you a hero! I feel happy and excited for you. All the best for the future xxx

12. Apple76

Apple76 New commenter

Thanks all. I definitely done my time.

I want to look back and try to just remember all the lovely students I’ve taught, those I keep in touch with who are in successful careers and know I was a little part of that. I’m going to forget all the rubbish stuff as teaching was once a lovely job.

13. BurntOutTeacher35

BurntOutTeacher35 New commenter

As someone also leaving this year and aiming to hang on until July this is an uplifting post!

I will also be writing a letter of resignation in the near future. I echo your feelings of nerves and excitement!

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi Apple76, thanks for sharing your positive plan - it will get you through. You'll be a loss to the profession, but I'm sure it's the right thing for you to do. Do you have plans for the future?
    I'm not leaving yet, but am definitely going to be part-time in September - really looking forward to that.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Hi Apple.
    I'm finishing too.
    I'm p/t so have just 60 more 'get ups'.
    Great feeling!

16. Babycakes77

Babycakes77 New commenter

23 years is no disgrace!

Don't bother taking the trouble to list all the remaining positives. We're told it's never good to look back in this life, but in the teaching profession, look back and be proud! Remember the naughty ones, the bright ones, the families where you taught ALL the siblings, the trips, the Bic biro count..... the list is endless, make it personal to you, to your time in teaching. It belongs to you.

It is a very noble thing indeed to impart knowledge to other human beings over such a long period of time.

Well done you!

17. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Me too! I'm retiring in July after 26 years. I MIGHT have done another year but just can't take the unnecessary work load any more. Love teaching my class, hate the paperwork.

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

To all of you who are 'retiring in July', please make sure that you write that your employment is to end as of 31st August if you want to get the summer holiday pay.

19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Me 5 years ago.
    I was old enough to take some pension. I had a bit of a gap year, found a non-mainstream people focused school. Other work (including my old school) has come creeping back in at the edges.

Minafeet likes this.
  20. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

A timely reminder! Thank you Jubilee.