1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hanging baskets and pots

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I feel the need to have a riot of colour on my patio so shall set about filling pots and getting MrDt to create a couple of splendid swinging baskets. The one at the front of the house will be padlocked - someone swiped a beautiful creation in the middle of the night, once.
    I can't do photos, but I'd love to see some of your creations. :)

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The neighbours are very busy in that regard. I can't be bothered. So, if I submit any photos, they won't be mine.

#justsaying

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just planted up all my patio pots yesterday.
    Photos to follow when they have established themselves.
    Feeling rather pleased with myself!

Dunteachin likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

I'm more of a natural wilderness woman myself.

I like the lawn to have neat edges and that's about it.

I positively insisted the buttercups not be eradicated. They are adorable!

magic surf bus likes this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Mine are functional - Strawberries in plastic Aldi pots to keep the bloody molluscs off them.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

im just in the process of planting up baskets up so they wont be colorful yet If you can find it you want a plant called brimstone lots and lot of re flowers and last year in my garden was very colourful.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I can't be bothered watering lots of pots and baskets. I always admire other people's!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

@lindenlea I am about to send you a message.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I planted up with summer bedding a couple of weeks ago and it's been cold ever since so they haven't grown much.

I used to do mixed containers, but in recent years I just do simple one species to each. Busy lizzies are great for situations that are somewhat shaded, we have them in a large basket that hangs from an old apple tree. If the situation is sunny, then Surfinia petunias, I also have a couple of large pots with 3 Fuchsias in each too.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The sambuccus and weigela are flowering against the fences. The honeysuckle has shot up in two weeks and the new climbing rose has buds.

The box hedge surrounding the raised beds is growing apace and last year's philadelphus and lupins are coming into flower. The rose bed isn't as good as we hoped this year, but we have peonies, salix, acer and French lavender in pots.

This was a bare rectangle of grass last year and we have battled with the leather jackets. It gives me enormous pleasure to look out on it now.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

It's a good thing I like green. Leaves, grass, ground elder. ;)

Green. That's the main thing.

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Colour- that's the thing. I'm not precious about colour combinations. Just bought a rose called 'Burgundy Ice.' To go with the pink, amber and white. Pansies in yellow, purple and blue. Probably a colour tart really.

lindenlea likes this.