1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handwritten cover letter, really?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by missaks, Sep 10, 2019.

1. missaks

missaks New commenter

Hello, I am about to apply for a job but it says to give the form in with a handwritten cover letter. I am happy to do this, but when I phoned to confirm this is what they wanted, I was told you can do it on the computer, that's fine..so now I am abit puzzled as I don't want to be disadvantaged because I type a letter when I can write it out! Should I just email and say I am happy to handwrite it if they require, or shall I handwrite and email too?? Help!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They do sound a bit confused! And a bit old fashioned.

Does your covering letter need to say very much beyond ".... I enclose my application form and look forward to hearing form you..."? ie is everything that forms part of your application going to be typed into the application form or attached to the application form?

Are you instructed to submit your application by post or electronically?

What's your handwriting like?

If the covering letter only needs to be a few lines, and if you are instructed to submit by post, and assuming you can do neat handwriting if you want to :) I'd do a handwritten covering letter as requested in the formal job ad. You could always put original application in the post and include a scanned copy of handwritten covering letter by email. Sometimes we just have to jump through these rather daft hoops set by rather confused schools...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Lara mfl 05 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I can see why having neat, legible handwriting would be important for a teacher but they do seem a bit confused.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. missaks

missaks New commenter

Yes I thought about scanning and sending or just emailing typed version and saying I am happy to hand write if they like! My handwriting is fine ..its just typed version is half a page, handwritten is 1.5

5. missaks

missaks New commenter

Also I'm not sure a cover letter is a few lines. .more of a summary of your personal statement...I'm never quite sure!

6. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

The day I see a handwritten job description and or person spec, I might consider hand-writing a cover letter. Briefly consider, and still probably decide it's not worth it.

7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If the school doesn't reduce the number of prospective applicants to zero then they'll do all these silly things and more. Maybe such rubbish is a sign that they are over-whelmed with applicants, don't know if that is a good thing or not.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.