1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handwriting

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caramel, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I have posted on primary forum but need to know what reception class teachers do. Do you teach print or cursive. Or use a specific scheme.
    We are trying to get a whole school policy on handwriting but have thre option. Nelson, cursive and print.

What works and does not work. I

Will really appreciate your answers. Thanks

2. I have posted on primary forum but need to know what reception class teachers do. Do you teach print or cursive. Or use a specific scheme.
    We are trying to get a whole school policy on handwriting but have thre option. Nelson, cursive and print.

What works and does not work. I

Will really appreciate your answers. Thanks

3. We have a school policy - we all use cursive script. And we teach them to join straightaway. They've usually all mastered it by July and some have lovely handwriting already. BUT, those that don't get it, REALLY don't get it! No matter how much input they have. We introduced it to help children with dyslexia and then it became a whole school thing. I would prefer print, and I think the children would too.

4. My personal opinion is that it should be more important to blend and segment than to write each letter with a little flick. I also think children need to learn the basic skills of holding a pencil.
    However, school policy and all that.........
    Unless you have the power to influence any changes?

5. Exactly!
    We do a LOT of pre-writing activities in my class and they're ongoing throughout the whole year. But, we have a lot of pressure from Year One. They want all children to be writing, joined up, before they get to them. If they can't write joined up properly in Year Two, Reception get the blame. KS1 think that handwriting is sitting with a pencil and a book. They don't understand all of the activities we do in FS to support it. Apparently playdough has nothing to do with handwriting - it's play. But, I'm only a Reception teacher - what do I know?!

6. hayley24 make no mistake you know NOTHING, absolutely nothing. The link between fine motor activities and handwriting? Totally unrelated. And the boys ... do you find their handwriting somewhat less progressed as the girls'? Feminisation of the curriculum? Does it really exist? Play-based learning, is it for real? Early childhood, let's face it, does it really matter? Aaaaargh!!!

7. sadika

sadika New commenter

We use Penpals for Writing - this 1/2 term our Reception children now enjoying practicing and forming letters "like a teacher"!

8. After years of struggling with cursive script to be in line with the rest of the school we changed after Christmas to Penpal. The difference has been so marked that the whole school is going to change in September. It's definitely worth looking at!

9. where can i find out about Penpals for writing - have googled it but only seem to come up with results of people who want a penpal!?! :-S

thank you

10. sadika

sadika New commenter

11. Thanks -will take a look :)

12. I recommend simple print with early phonics teaching.
    Then teach the joins around the beginning of Year Two and do it quickly - lots of practice and engaging the children intellectually with what are the 'joins' and what are the letter shapes.

13. I think Penpals introduces cursive in about year 3?? (Could be faulty memory!)
    Children who struggle with recognising letters/graphemes and segmenting and blending sounds do seem to find it easier if the letters are sparate. Some of the resources I use have joins for the digraphs, and the strugglers seem to find these harder to interpret. Though maybe just because they've not had enough exposure to them yet. But printed text doesn't usually have joins, so it does make an extra layer to interpret for them.

14. I had never heard of penpals so I followed the link. It has scared me!...and my class housekeeping purse. I put in the shopping list for one of every item and it came out around 2,000 pounds. This seems quite expensive. The guidance seems as detailed as an aircraft manual and I would worry that a school buying in the scheme would feel they have to justify the expense by more or less insisting that all teachers follow the scheme to the literal 'letter'.
    I am sure I would find it yet another layer to add into an already complex set of demands adding more directed content and rigidity into planning. Surely the broad guidelines would be enough and from there teachers could build in as and where they saw fit, where there was opportunity, repeating and extending, consolidating and showing connections and patterns, giving exposure to the skills needed and opportunities for practise throughout writing activities etc.?
    Eg Debbie above seems to be a bit more relaxed about this. Does it matter so much in the end that we have to have such detailed prescription? Or is it an attempt to sell something by exagerating the need? I don't know. I just wonder

15. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The F1 teacher's book and CD is worth buying try Amazon much cheaper lots of lovely ideas for mark making with music and linked to art and dance.

16. Well we are using Nelson Script. It works really well with alomost all sorts of leraners. We begin joining/cursive writing at level 3. It is going on pretty well. I would recommend the same.