1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handwriting- what are people using?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Thumperrabbit, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Thumperrabbit

Thumperrabbit New commenter

Could I ask, do you teach the children to write in Cursive style, from Nursery age (3-4)?
    As a parent I'm just encouraging my daughter with what ever marks she manages to make, but friends who have children in a school nursery (I don't) say that the teachers say you must use the Cursive style.
    Many thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We teach separate letters with the exit flick but not a lead in stroke[​IMG]
    some schools teach fully cursive from nursery

3. We use a mix of magnetic letters and whiteboard pens during phonics session. The children learn 2 sounds a week (2 days reading, 2 writing, day 5 revision). The following week the children practise writing words/sentences containing these sounds in their handwriting books. Some of the children are still at the handwriting pattern stage and aren't ready to write the words.

4. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter

Do you use a scheme book like penpals or do you simply write the letters yourself for chn to copy in books?

5. After searching for something in school to use with no luck (I moved to EYFS unit this year), I decided to use "Magic pencil handwriting" , the chn watch formation, draw in the air saying the letter patter, then on each others backs (think its on communication4all), along side using letter roads for the chn to trace with finger, we then use whiteboards and pens when we do more formal handwriting, but other activities could be using water and paint brushes outside, scrimbling tray, big paper and pens etc.

Other than this, I mentioned to my head that the Penpals scheme looked good. I have the Foundation 1 book which is more physically making pre writing patterns like circles, straight lines, bridges etc. but there is a Foundation 2 book. I didn't buy this as it is expensive, but it looks quite good and think I may have persuaded my Head to buy the whole scheme!! Worth looking into maybe?

Has any one else got the penpals for Foundation 2 and could tell me a little more about it?

6. Msz

The F1 book is more useful than the F2 materials

7. sillysausage21

What do you think of using letter formation worksheets like those on ******?

8. sillysausage21

9. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

The children need to watch the formation rather than copying or tracing on a sheet. I like the magic pencil on C4all as well!

10. sillysausage21

They would do it in small groups and go through the formation with an adult. But surely they need to practise the movement too?!

11. Msz

They need to do it (correctly not tracing) more than they need to watch it. Learningwhere to start and which direction to move their pencil and the correct sequence of movements.

12. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Sorry, I didn't mean just watch - but agree to see the formation modelled and then do it themselves rather than just writing over or tracing.

13. Don't forget to show the children where the letter sits in relation to the line - this helps them to learn whether it is a descender or ascender. With this in mind I would also recommend that the children when learning to form graphemes on paper that you used lines. We found that as children became more adept in Reception with their handwriting it was necessary to move them into narrower lined paper; if we kept them on wider lined (which is what we did when they first came in) the children had a tendency to keep on writing BIG! Worth thinking about

14. Grolta

Grolta New commenter