1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Handwriting tuition for a 14 year old

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by PlymouthMaid, Feb 2, 2011.

1. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

This a new request for me so am a bit unsure how to approach it. Any pointers or advice would be very helpful. I haven't yet accepted the job as i am thinking about it before getting ion touch.

The lad is a 14 year old good grade student with, apparently, shocking handwriting. He is left handed.

I intend initially to watch him write, looking at posture, hand grip, letter formation etc and then think about specific exercises he can undertake to improve with my guidance. All that seems obvious so far, what else should i be doing to male a difference? The teaching of handwriting was a glaring ommision from my training it seems.

2. Just a though but maybe he suffers from scotopic sensitivity? http://www.irlenwa.com.au/irlen.htm

I always achieved good grades academically but my hand writing has always been scruffy. Last year I was diagnosed with scotopic sensitivity and I now wear green tinted glasses and use green writting paper. My hand writing has dramatically improved.

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Thank you Fletch - that is something else to consider that I hadn't thought about.